DIY magnetic planar headphone - driver advise.

hello. im trying to make my own headphones to get higher quality while saving money but am very lacking in experience. the best headphones ive ever used cost £10.

i have found a driver that seems promising, but im worried i might have missed something important seeming as im so inexperienced. 

I will attach the specs bellow. id really appreciate it if someone could point out any problems the drivers might have and give me a rough idea of how much they think they're worth.

I know specs aren't everything, but I hope it will at least give me a good starting point.

knowing how much they're worth is the most important thing to me, I don't mind them having flaws as long as they're good value.

thanks for reading.

driver specs03.png

Have considered buying an existing planar like a third audio phantom or a he 4xx and modding it ?

Also the driver your looking at is for an iem not a headphone

2 hours ago, rice guru said:

Have considered buying an existing planar like a third audio phantom or a he 4xx and modding it ?

Thanks for the reply. I looked at moding the tr mk3s or whatever they were called but they're + 130£ before I've even modded them.

Also I was quite confused by the IEM part, the dimensions are way to big to fit in someone's ear, so I assumed it must mean something else?

57 minutes ago, Pesky Ngon said:

Thanks for the reply. I looked at moding the tr mk3s or whatever they were called but they're + 130£ before I've even modded them.

Also I was quite confused by the IEM part, the dimensions are way to big to fit in someone's ear, so I assumed it must mean something else?

Yeah actually I didn't look at the dimensions I could just be weird Chinese marketing I see it all the time on ali Express.  Tr50 Rps are not very planar sounding planars unfortunately anyway. Making your own planar or headphone in general is quite a lot of work. But if you have tools and general wood working experience or a CNC machine or 3d printers you should be good but planar is just a route I don't see any sites go for as their first foray. Maybe look into getting a he 400 I they are getting pretty cheap these days

4 hours ago, rice guru said:

Yeah actually I didn't look at the dimensions I could just be weird Chinese marketing I see it all the time on ali Express.  Tr50 Rps are not very planar sounding planars unfortunately anyway. Making your own planar or headphone in general is quite a lot of work. But if you have tools and general wood working experience or a CNC machine or 3d printers you should be good but planar is just a route I don't see any sites go for as their first foray. Maybe look into getting a he 400 I they are getting pretty cheap these days

Thanks for the recommendation. From reviews they look great, but still quite a bit outside of my price range unfortunately. The "IEM"drivers are £56 for a pair(probably a bit more after shipping). I have a 3d printer, filimemt cost would be tiny. And I could use a small amount of leather for the headband and earcups. I think I might be able to do the entire project for under £100. I'm not aware of any other planar magnetic headphones quite that cheap. 

5 minutes ago, Pesky Ngon said:

Thanks for the recommendation. From reviews they look great, but still quite a bit outside of my price range unfortunately. The "IEM"drivers are £56 for a pair(probably a bit more after shipping). I have a 3d printer, filimemt cost would be tiny. And I could use a small amount of leather for the headband and earcups. I think I might be able to do the entire project for under £100. I'm not aware of any other planar magnetic headphones quite that cheap. 

cheapest planar out right now is probably the he 400i or 4xx. 

honestly I dont know what those drivers that you are buying are so I cant really comment on them not all planars drivers are made the same.