Could a Faulty Surge Protector Have Killed my GPU?

A few months ago, my GPU randomly died. Apparently it had shorted out, which was causing my PSU to shut down to avoid damage. I got the GPU replaced, and my PC has been working fine since then. When the GPU died, I had my computer plugged into a surge protector. Since then, I've been keeping my PC plugged straight into the wall (yes I know it's more dangerous). Am I just being paranoid, or is it possible that my surge protector is faulty and caused my GPU to die? The surge protector is just one that I found laying around the house. It doesn't have a name brand on it, so I don't know how reliable it is.

Basically, this is what I want to know. Is the surge protector I have safe or not? If the one I have could be faulty, should I keep my PC plugged into the wall like it has been or buy a new surge protector? If I should get a new surge protector, are there any good ones I could get on Amazon for around $15-20? I would appreciate any advice on the subject.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

No there is no way that your GPU died from a surge protector. If the surge protector was damaged it would ether just not power your pc anymore or at worst just doesn't work in a fault case but it cant wreck other components pluged in to it.

1 minute ago, djboy6480 said:

No there is no way that your GPU died from a surge protector. If the surge protector was damaged it would ether just not power your pc anymore or at worst just doesn't work in a fault case but it cant wreck other components pluged in to it.

Okay. Good to know. I doubted it was actually possible. I'm just really paranoid since this is my first build and I've put a lot of time and money into it. I'd hate to see anything else go wrong.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

4 hours ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

A few months ago, my GPU randomly died. Apparently it had shorted out, which was causing my PSU to shut down to avoid damage. I got the GPU replaced, and my PC has been working fine since then. When the GPU died, I had my computer plugged into a surge protector. Since then, I've been keeping my PC plugged straight into the wall (yes I know it's more dangerous). Am I just being paranoid, or is it possible that my surge protector is faulty and caused my GPU to die? The surge protector is just one that I found laying around the house. It doesn't have a name brand on it, so I don't know how reliable it is.

Basically, this is what I want to know. Is the surge protector I have safe or not? If the one I have could be faulty, should I keep my PC plugged into the wall like it has been or buy a new surge protector? If I should get a new surge protector, are there any good ones I could get on Amazon for around $15-20? I would appreciate any advice on the subject.

None of your "answers" in your poll are relevant.

A poor PSU could have killed your GPU.  But not the surge suppressor.  A poor surge suppressor could kill the PSU, but the damage would stop there.

11 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

None of your "answers" in your poll are relevant.

A poor PSU could have killed your GPU.  But not the surge suppressor.  A poor surge suppressor could kill the PSU, but the damage would stop there

My point with this post wasn't to ask if the PSU was faulty. I was asking about the surge protector since I know almost nothing about how they work and the issues they can have. Therefore, I would say my poll questions are pretty relevant. Also, I had never set up a poll before so I was experimenting to see how they work.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

As far as a surge protector goes try to get one around 2000 joules with an LED that let's you know that you still have protection because it may have already protected you but you but you don't realize it and they don't last forever. 

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

6 hours ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

My point with this post wasn't to ask if the PSU was faulty. I was asking about the surge protector since I know almost nothing about how they work and the issues they can have. Therefore, I would say my poll questions are pretty relevant. Also, I had never set up a poll before so I was experimenting to see how they work.

I'm just letting you know that's not how AC to DC works.

Your surge suppressor suppresses surges on the AC.

You graphics card uses DC.

The PC power supply converts AC to DC.

You do the math.