How to calculate PSU load?

Go to solution Solved by johnny5c,
13 minutes ago, nootnoot1277 said:

Hey guys

Can anyone give me the proper way to calculate your psu requirements? 

Just to clarify, I've been building for years and always gone for more than what I need within reason and chose sensibly but right now I'm building up a Shuttle 2003 retro gaming PC and need to get a PSU for it and being Flex ATX means I'm limited on PSU wattage without breaking the bank so im trying to figure out what my total load would be so I don't have to overspend for not reason. I've got a rough idea but just wanna clarify.

To my knowledge it's the TDP or each part combined but I'm not sure how much the mobo, hdd, odd consume.

Specs:

Athlon 64 3200+ (Clawhammer): 89w

Radeon 9550: can't find TDP anywhere but the 9600 supposedly is 12w so I'd guess it's around that?

2x 1gb DDR Dimms

1 x 7.2k rpm SATA drive

1 x ODD

Just totalling up the main components with the 9550 as 20w since I'm not certain what it draws, I'm coming up with 141w that's *including* a 30% overhead so I'm guessing once I add ram, mobo and drives it would be around 200w?

Am I close or totally wrong?

I had almost a identical setup with a Shuttle bare bones for my first HTPC and you're probably pretty close on your calculation but because the Flex ATX PSUs have such horrible cooling I would go with a 300 watt unit.

Hey guys

Just to clarify, I've been building for years and always gone for more than what I need within reason and chose sensibly but right now I'm building up a Shuttle 2003 retro gaming PC and need to get a PSU for it and being Flex ATX means I'm limited on PSU wattage without breaking the bank so im trying to figure out what my total load would be so I don't have to overspend for not reason. I've got a rough idea but just wanna clarify.

To my knowledge it's the TDP or each part combined but I'm not sure how much the mobo, hdd, odd consume.

Specs:

Radeon 9550: can't find TDP anywhere but the 9600 supposedly is 12w so I'd guess it's around that?

2x 1gb DDR Dimms

1 x 7.2k rpm SATA drive

1 x ODD

Just totalling up the main components with the 9550 as 20w since I'm not certain what it draws, I'm coming up with 141w that's *including* a 30% overhead so I'm guessing once I add ram, mobo and drives it would be around 200w?

5 minutes ago, nootnoot1277 said:

Am I close or totally wrong

it is afr more than 200w but still under 400w. any decent 450w-550w psu will do. i suggest you to get corsair cx 550w.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

10 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

it is afr more than 200w but still under 400w. any decent 450w-550w psu will do. i suggest you to get corsair cx 550w.

*Sigh* you didn't read the bit where I said Flex ATX did you?

13 minutes ago, nootnoot1277 said:

Hey guys

Specs:

2x 1gb DDR Dimms

1 x 7.2k rpm SATA drive

1 x ODD

I had almost a identical setup with a Shuttle bare bones for my first HTPC and you're probably pretty close on your calculation but because the Flex ATX PSUs have such horrible cooling I would go with a 300 watt unit.

14 minutes ago, johnny5c said:

100% agree I planned on going 300w anyway i was just checking to make sure that wasn't undercutting what I needed if that makes sense. I had a feeling it would be enough since iirc drives really only use like 10w or something like that and the mobo about 30 plus I've give it the 30% overhead so im pretty sure I should be right I just wanted to make sure I want doing the calculation totally wrong haha.

Thanks mate

22 minutes ago, nootnoot1277 said:

100% agree I planned on going 300w anyway i was just checking to make sure that wasn't undercutting what I needed if that makes sense. I had a feeling it would be enough since iirc drives really only use like 10w or something like that and the mobo about 30 plus I've give it the 30% overhead so im pretty sure I should be right I just wanted to make sure I want doing the calculation totally wrong haha.

Thanks mate

I had a XP 2800 and a Radeon 9250 in mine and the included 220 watt PSU was stable but ran hot and only lasted a few months.  I upgraded to a 300 watt unit and it ran 24/7 for years as a DVR with a WinTV card.

23 minutes ago, johnny5c said:

I had a XP 2800 and a Radeon 9250 in mine and the included 220 watt PSU was stable but ran hot and only lasted a few months.  I upgraded to a 300 watt unit and it ran 24/7 for years as a DVR with a WinTV card.

Yeah that makes sense I can see why. I'm just gonna get one of the models that was a recommended upgrade in these and rock the 300w. The original blew up years ago i've just had a full-size SFX sitting in the drive bay but it's a bit jank and I wanna use the drive bay so I thought bugger it lets finally do this properly and put a PSU in it that actually fit and then I can play some Half Life 2 😂

2 minutes ago, nootnoot1277 said:

Yeah that makes sense I can see why. I'm just gonna get one of the models that was a recommended upgrade in these and rock the 300w. The original blew up years ago i've just had a full-size SFX sitting in the drive bay but it's a bit jank and I wanna use the drive bay so I thought bugger it lets finally do this properly and put a PSU in it that actually fit and then I can play some Half Life 2 😂

Now I wish I still had mine, with the lockdown I could definitely get a few of the old crew into some Starcraft or BF1942.  

This is the model I had,

https://www.newegg.com/shuttle-sk41g/p/N82E16856101216

40 minutes ago, johnny5c said:

Now I wish I still had mine, with the lockdown I could definitely get a few of the old crew into some Starcraft or BF1942.  

This is the model I had,

https://www.newegg.com/shuttle-sk41g/p/N82E16856101216

Haha they're a good lil thing that'd be good fun.

For me it was one of the first things that got me into PC building, I found it thrown out (with the blown PSU) it's a very similar model to yours was, mine is an SK21G which had a Sempron 3300+ but I've ordered the Athlon and I already had the 9550 which makes it a perfect midrange 2003 gaming PC so finally I'll get around to finishing HL2 again.