Fixing a TV

tnings

I am fixing my Vizio e550i-b2 tv, and I have a strong suspicion that the power distribution board is dead. I am trying to use a multimeter to see if there is any current to see if it is dead, but I can't find any points to press the pins against. Does anyone know how I could find the points or where the points are?

If you don’t know what pins to check for a dead board, I would not be messing with a power board. There are high voltage that can be dangerous if you don’t know what you are doing.

check the fuse first

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

25 minutes ago, The_russian said:

If you don’t know what pins to check for a dead board, I would not be messing with a power board. There are high voltage that can be dangerous if you don’t know what you are doing.

Yeah, that's why I am not touching anything, and I talked to family friend who has more knowledge than me in stuff like this, and I really think that the power board is just dead and will just probably just order a replacement part.

37 minutes ago, tnings said:

I am fixing my Vizio e550i-b2 tv, and I have a strong suspicion that the power distribution board is dead. I am trying to use a multimeter to see if there is any current to see if it is dead, but I can't find any points to press the pins against. Does anyone know how I could find the points or where the points are?

Check if this ic chip on your board is damaged.  You check the voltage coming off of the pin(s)  there should also be a voltage chart near the pins too. 

icChipVizio.png

4 minutes ago, TylerDurden! said:

Check if this ic chip on your board is damaged.  You check the voltage coming off of the pin(s)  there should also be a voltage chart near the pins too. 

icChipVizio.png

It doesn't look damaged, I am not getting any reading.

2 hours ago, tnings said:

It doesn't look damaged, I am not getting any reading.

+1 for check the fuse too,  you might have to pull it out to check

that sucks though, I literally have the same tv, got it for free and just had to replace a less than $2 part to fix it... I also had to replace 3 led strips too, so I was only about $30 into it. 

If you decide to buy a "new to you" one, then they are around $70 now. 

If you want to check the voltages though, the values are usually in a little white box next to where the wires plug in  Check the 5v and 12v.  Where the LED strips plug in, usually will not get power until the main board is turned on.  

Do you get a standby light or anything when pressing the on button?

12 hours ago, TylerDurden! said:

+1 for check the fuse too,  you might have to pull it out to check

that sucks though, I literally have the same tv, got it for free and just had to replace a less than $2 part to fix it... I also had to replace 3 led strips too, so I was only about $30 into it. 

If you decide to buy a "new to you" one, then they are around $70 now. 

If you want to check the voltages though, the values are usually in a little white box next to where the wires plug in  Check the 5v and 12v.  Where the LED strips plug in, usually will not get power until the main board is turned on.  

Do you get a standby light or anything when pressing the on button?

No stand by light or anything, if I try turning it on, nothing happens. It is also important to say that when the tv there was a faint melted plastic smell coming from the vents. At this point I really think the board is dead, and I will probably just order a replacement, but I am not sure what will happen if that doesn't work.

2 hours ago, tnings said:

but I am not sure what will happen if that doesn't work.

replacement should fix the issue for no power.  The power board likes to fail on these, which is why they are a little high on the price for used parts.  I was hoping it was just that little IC chip, which only cost a couple bucks.  I think shopjimmy.com has a repair kit if you wanted to mess with that, and a newer version of the power supply if you just wanted to go the swap it out route.