Question about a certain PS5 spec

so i was reading Tom'sHardware and found the PS5 spec list,

so it goes pretty normal (But darn cheap) 

8/16 AMD Zen 2 3.5 GHZ upto

RDNA -2 based GPU up to 2.3 ghz (which imo is beast)

and then i get confused/

so it says the ram is 16 gb which i get, but it says its GDDR6?

isnt GDDR used for VRAM classfication, and DDR is what's used for normal ram?

also we're still on DDR4 when did we skip DDR5 and Jump to 6 and add a G at the beginning?

im so confused pls help

stuff is cool. stuff that has fancy lighting is cooler. stuff that has fancy lighting and works is the coolest.

i game so i know a bit abt gaming tech, not much abt professional tech.

writing this as i finish a 3 hour D2 sesh so excuse anything wrong.

2 minutes ago, ketchupspill said:

so i was reading Tom'sHardware and found the PS5 spec list,

so it goes pretty normal (But darn cheap) 

8/16 AMD Zen 2 3.5 GHZ upto

RDNA -2 based GPU up to 2.3 ghz (which imo is beast)

and then i get confused/

so it says the ram is 16 gb which i get, but it says its GDDR6?

isnt GDDR used for VRAM classfication, and DDR is what's used for normal ram?

also we're still on DDR4 when did we skip DDR5 and Jump to 6 and add a G at the beginning?

im so confused pls help

Often consoles are built on a single chip for CPU/GPU, like a normal desktop APU but with much more GPU power. Since they use one set shared memory like an APU, they generally go with graphics-oriented memory as the graphics portion cares a lot more about memory bandwidth than the CPU does.

edit- I believe GDDR6 is more like DDR4 than "real" DDR6, just more optimized for the kind of loads a graphics card provides vs. a CPU.

memory allocation is dynamic on consoles, you'll notice that this is the same for current gen consoles too, like the Xbox one, where the CPU and GPU share memory.

Trash beauty:

CPU: Xeon X5550

GPU: RX 570 4GB (defective)

SSD: Fattydove Racing 240GB

HDD: WD Blue 320GB

Motherboard: HP Z400

Ram: 6x2GB DDR3 1066

PSU: Corsair TX650

10 hours ago, Grabhanem said:

Often consoles are built on a single chip for CPU/GPU, like a normal desktop APU but with much more GPU power. Since they use one set shared memory like an APU, they generally go with graphics-oriented memory as the graphics portion cares a lot more about memory bandwidth than the CPU does.

edit- I believe GDDR6 is more like DDR4 than "real" DDR6, just more optimized for the kind of loads a graphics card provides vs. a CPU.

still kinda confused lol

so basically you're saying consoles make discrete GPUS basically integrated ones, so because of that they make the ram Graphics oriented instead of normal?

stuff is cool. stuff that has fancy lighting is cooler. stuff that has fancy lighting and works is the coolest.

52 minutes ago, ketchupspill said:

still kinda confused lol

so basically you're saying consoles make discrete GPUS basically integrated ones, so because of that they make the ram Graphics oriented instead of normal?

Graphics memory tends to be more bandwidth heavy, but latency tends to be higher. Plain DDR memory is optimized for low latency, but tends to also have significantly lower bandwidth available to it. Think of some of the DDR variants of graphics cards versus the GDDR version. The GDDR version tends to be much faster, all else equal. Graphics chips process large amounts of data, so they need lots of bandwidth, so large chunks with large delays. It's a trade-off that occurs. 

As far as classifications are concerned, yes they are kind of integrated graphics because they're most likely using an SoC, so everything is on a single die.  

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

11 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Graphics memory tends to be more bandwidth heavy, but latency tends to be higher. Plain DDR memory is optimized for low latency, but tends to also have significantly lower bandwidth available to it. Think of some of the DDR variants of graphics cards versus the GDDR version. The GDDR version tends to be much faster, all else equal. Graphics chips process large amounts of data, so they need lots of bandwidth, so large chunks with large delays. It's a trade-off that occurs. 

As far as classifications are concerned, yes they are kind of integrated graphics because they're most likely using an SoC, so everything is on a single die.  

ah alright i get it.

wait does that mean a PC could have GDDR ram instead of DDR?\

4 minutes ago, ketchupspill said:

ah alright i get it.

wait does that mean a PC could have GDDR ram instead of DDR?\

Yes, but the memory controllers on CPUs would have to support it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch