ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme III (GPU cooler)

CuriousBro

I recently purchased a used GTX 1080 Ti by PNY and was unhappy it was heating up to 184 when running games on 1440p@144hz. So I decided to buy cooler to replace the fan that came with the GPU. The ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme III seemed like the cooler to do the job. Assembly involved taking the GPU apart which had over 25 screws, then gluing the over a dozen small aluminum heat sinks to the memory and MOSFETS. I let the glue dry over night because it's easier to wait while sleeping 😴. Add new thermal paste after cleaning the old, then assemble the rest. Alignment of the heat plate and screws was a hassle. but I got it done. I'm leaving out a little, because I'm reviewing the product, not giving a full on how to guide. My point in mentioning the assembly is to paint a picture of how tedious this was to install. 

When all was said and done, the cooler has worked as hoped. My GPU went from maxing out at 184F to never going over 140F even after an hour of playing the same games on the same settings. Looking back, I don't think I'll ever do something like this again. The ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme III is heavy, over sized, ugly to look at, and overly complicated to assemble. Not to mention I could have gotten a GPU with a better cooler for 30-40$ more, which is less than the cost and time of adding my own cooler. Not a failer, but not worth it IMHO.

And finally, some have pointed out that 180f+ temps aren't out of the average of what these coolers can handle, so maybe a waste alltogether. Hope this review helps, and happy gaming all.

Motherboard: Asus Tuf X570-Plus | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x Eight-Core Processor | GPU: Zotac GeForce RTX 3080 10gb  | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL14 | Case: ATX Mid Tower Case | Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB & 1TB M.2 | Display: Samsung C27HG70 27" 2560x1440 144Hz 1ms | Operating System: Windows 10