Making use of old server pc, no onboard audio?

Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,
1 minute ago, whatishacks said:

Is there much difference with the usb sound card adapters or the actual sound card? I see these usb sound cards for as cheap as $5

I haven't used a sound card in ages, because pretty much any modern PC has onboard sound. So I suppose the main reason they might be more expensive is that their sales are rather limited these days. I'm sure there are differences in quality, but that is rather hard to determine based on price alone. You'd have to find some reviews. But for gaming I think either should be fine.

I have an old dual xeon e5 2670 system that I've thrown a GPU into so i can game with my wife.

the only issue is, there is no onboard audio on the motherboard, so she can't use headphones/mic.

How can i solve this problem?  Is there anything I can use in order to connect a headset with a mic and headphone wire?

thanks!

Main PC: 4690k // Z97 // R9 280 3GB // 8gb Ram // CM Elite 430 Case // 750 EVGA B PSU // 1TB HDD

Living Room "Console" PC: FX 8350 // 990a SLI Krait // R7 360 // 8gb Ram // HAF 912 // 750 EVGA B PSU // 1TB HDD

Future Plans:

find a 2nd monitor at a pawn shop

Sell/giveaway R7 360, move r9 280 into console PC, buy a better GPU for main PC.

You could try a USB headset/speaker/microphone or if you have available slots you could install a sound card like in the good old days before onboard sound was a thing :D

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Add a cheap sound card ?

I have had the same problem I have a DL365 g5 server from HP it is a rack mount, i had the same problem. just use a sound card 

13 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

You could try a USB headset/speaker/microphone or if you have available slots you could install a sound card like in the good old days before onboard sound was a thing :D

Is there much difference with the usb sound card adapters or the actual sound card? I see these usb sound cards for as cheap as $5

Main PC: 4690k // Z97 // R9 280 3GB // 8gb Ram // CM Elite 430 Case // 750 EVGA B PSU // 1TB HDD

Living Room "Console" PC: FX 8350 // 990a SLI Krait // R7 360 // 8gb Ram // HAF 912 // 750 EVGA B PSU // 1TB HDD

Future Plans:

find a 2nd monitor at a pawn shop

Sell/giveaway R7 360, move r9 280 into console PC, buy a better GPU for main PC.

1 minute ago, whatishacks said:

I haven't used a sound card in ages, because pretty much any modern PC has onboard sound. So I suppose the main reason they might be more expensive is that their sales are rather limited these days. I'm sure there are differences in quality, but that is rather hard to determine based on price alone. You'd have to find some reviews. But for gaming I think either should be fine.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply