I think my 290X might have died?

Anduin

Hello, first of all, I know the card is old and I know it's kind of a thermal reactor, but it's serving it's purpose. 

Yesterday I was playing some WoW and alt-tabbed out of game and some artifacts appeared on screen, after a few seconds it turned black. 

I checked the cables, the contact with the pci-e slot, the HDMI cable, everything seems to be in place, but no image. I opened the card and gave it a bit of a clean, changed the thermal paste and thermal pads, but still nothing. 

This morning it kind of worked. The MSI "go to bios" screen appeared. There was artifacting, but still. It went to windows loading screen and then it lost all image. 

I have two of those cards in CF, so I swapped them around everything worked normally. Both cards were in the device manager (though the second one had an exclamation mark next to it). 

Any ideas what went wrong and is there a way to fix it? 

4 minutes ago, Anduin said:

Hello, first of all, I know the card is old and I know it's kind of a thermal reactor, but it's serving it's purpose. 

Yesterday I was playing some WoW and alt-tabbed out of game and some artifacts appeared on screen, after a few seconds it turned black. 

I checked the cables, the contact with the pci-e slot, the HDMI cable, everything seems to be in place, but no image. I opened the card and gave it a bit of a clean, changed the thermal paste and thermal pads, but still nothing. 

This morning it kind of worked. The MSI "go to bios" screen appeared. There was artifacting, but still. It went to windows loading screen and then it lost all image. 

I have two of those cards in CF, so I swapped them around everything worked normally. Both cards were in the device manager (though the second one had an exclamation mark next to it). 

Any ideas what went wrong and is there a way to fix it? 

Old and very HOT card mind you. I have a similar card and if anything were to fail on it would probably be the solder joints. I wont recommend it, but some people bake their cards, just make sure to remove anything that is plastic first... like the shroud. This should reflow the solder in the GPU and once cooled can solidify the contacts. I would recommend looking into get another card though, because its just down hill from here.