Would it be a good idea to upgrade my graphics card?

Lamphouse9

I currently have a GTX 970 and its been great for a while until the past year i feel like its been slacking a little on newer games, (i play games at 1080p) im wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade. I dont have the greatest idea of how different cards stack up against eachother or how good value different ones are so i want some recommendations before i choose what gpu i get, i have a budget of 400-500 dollars so im wondering what the best card within that budget is. also im kinda interested in ray tracing but i have an even worse understanding of how different rtx cards compare in rtx games.

Going to a GTX 1660 or RTX 2060 super will be a nice upgrade. You could also go to a GTX 2070 Super but that is a bit overkill I think. My GTX 1070 still plays pretty much everything at 1080p just fine. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

23 minutes ago, Lamphouse9 said:

I currently have a GTX 970 and its been great for a while until the past year i feel like its been slacking a little on newer games, (i play games at 1080p) im wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade. I dont have the greatest idea of how different cards stack up against eachother or how good value different ones are so i want some recommendations before i choose what gpu i get, i have a budget of 400-500 dollars so im wondering what the best card within that budget is. also im kinda interested in ray tracing but i have an even worse understanding of how different rtx cards compare in rtx games.

4-500$ USD im asuming which will get you a nice card these days.   I have a GTX 970 in my wifes computer and it works great for her sims and light graphic design use its still a very capable 1080p card.  Is the best? no but it goes to bat with GTX 1060's, RX 580, RX 570's  so dont consider those as any type of upgrade fyi.  

If you staying at 1080p for the foreseeable future I would go with a RTX 2070 or RX 5700XT 

If you enjoyed how long you had your 970 for im sure the 2070 will last you just as long and allows you to get into some 1440p/4k gaming if you so choose in the future.

it worth it to upgrade to a gtx 1660ti or rtx 2060.

MY RIG

CPU: i5 8400 || CPU COOLER: Stock Intel || MOBO: MSI B360A-PRO || GPU: MSI 2060 SUPER GAMING X || RAM: 2x8GB HyperX Fury Black 2666MHZ || SSD: 120GB Kingston || HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: Segotep H9Plus+ 520W || CASE: Segotep SG-K5 Black || Monitor: Asus MG248QR & Asus VG245H  || KEYBOARD: Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2 Green Switch || Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate || Mouse Pad: Razer Firefly Hard Edition || Mic: Razer Seiren X || Headset: Razer Nari || Headset stand: Eazer Base Station Chroma || Case Fans : Segotep Pro Vibrant 3x120mm RGB ||

A used 1080ti should be well within ur budget.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

31 minutes ago, Tz000 said:

4-500$ USD im asuming which will get you a nice card these days.   I have a GTX 970 in my wifes computer and it works great for her sims and light graphic design use its still a very capable 1080p card.  Is the best? no but it goes to bat with GTX 1060's, RX 580, RX 570's  so dont consider those as any type of upgrade fyi.  

If you staying at 1080p for the foreseeable future I would go with a RTX 2070 or RX 5700XT 

If you enjoyed how long you had your 970 for im sure the 2070 will last you just as long and allows you to get into some 1440p/4k gaming if you so choose in the future.

i might go with a 2070 because of ray tracing, and im sure it will provide a great gaming experience on 1080p on ultra settings, and ill probably consider a higher resolution monitor when i have the budget for another upgrade

7 minutes ago, Lamphouse9 said:

i might go with a 2070 because of ray tracing, and im sure it will provide a great gaming experience on 1080p on ultra settings, and ill probably consider a higher resolution monitor when i have the budget for another upgrade

You wouldn't be disappointment.