How to move a game installed on disc not on Steam to a Steam version?

TheMonsterMan8
Go to solution Solved by TheMonsterMan8,

I'm going try something else, if anyone has a suggestion i am anxious for a solution.

Yes, I'm so ancient I still install games on a disc, but hear me out. The reason I do is because my internet connection is awful. Seriously.

3313980693.png

So now that's out the way, back to the main question. I installed Assassin's Creed 2 (just about my favourite game) on a disc a year back. So this is all fine and dandy, and I played it a lot. However, as I am prone to doing with my dyspraxia, I lost the sodding disc. So I decided to buy the game on Steam (to finish my collection of the AC games) and then download it, as in my haste, I forgot I already had the files on my PC. However, the version I installed from the disc hasn't linked to Steam, and I've yet to find a working patch that allows me to play without it. So here's the question again. Can I move the game files off a disc to the new Steam location and have Steam recognise it?

Gaming and Editing: Intel Core i7-4930k 4.6Ghz 6-Core Processor - EK Supremacy CSQ CPU WaterblockASUS P9X79 ATX Motherboard - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (8x4GB) 1866 Memory - EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black 1200Mhz 6GB W/ EK FC780 Ti Nickel Waterblock Graphics Card  - Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive x3 - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD x2 - Fractal Design Define R4 Window Modded - BitFenix Spectre Pro Blue LED 140mm Fan x1 - BitFenix Spectre PWM LED 120mm Fan x4 - Corsair HX850 80 Plus Gold Modular Power SupplyMicrosoft Windows 8 64-bit Operating System

Yes, I'm so ancient I still install games on a disc, but hear me out. The reason I do is because my internet connection is awful. Seriously.

3313980693.png

So now that's out the way, back to the main question. I installed Assassin's Creed 2 (just about my favourite game) on a disc a year back. So this is all fine and dandy, and I played it a lot. However, as I am prone to doing with my dyspraxia, I lost the sodding disc. So I decided to buy the game on Steam (to finish my collection of the AC games) and then download it, as in my haste, I forgot I already had the files on my PC. However, the version I installed from the disc hasn't linked to Steam, and I've yet to find a working patch that allows me to play without it. So here's the question again. Can I move the game files off a disc to the new Steam location and have Steam recognise it?

Don't think you can. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Don't think you can. 

Cheerful.

Gaming and Editing: Intel Core i7-4930k 4.6Ghz 6-Core Processor - EK Supremacy CSQ CPU WaterblockASUS P9X79 ATX Motherboard - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (8x4GB) 1866 Memory - EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black 1200Mhz 6GB W/ EK FC780 Ti Nickel Waterblock Graphics Card  - Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive x3 - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD x2 - Fractal Design Define R4 Window Modded - BitFenix Spectre Pro Blue LED 140mm Fan x1 - BitFenix Spectre PWM LED 120mm Fan x4 - Corsair HX850 80 Plus Gold Modular Power SupplyMicrosoft Windows 8 64-bit Operating System

I'm going try something else, if anyone has a suggestion i am anxious for a solution.

You could search for the core save games ( if save games are what you want on your new one ) and compare, replace where needed and see if would work.

I dont think you can do that because of DRM Protection. Im guessing if you could, you could borrow someones AC2 and then install it and have steam recognise it and then you could technically get a game for free.

Try putting the files in the folder where steam downloads the game to. When steam starts downloading it will search there for any files before it starts downloading.

Using Tapatalk

I dont think you can do that because of DRM Protection. Im guessing if you could, you could borrow someones AC2 and then install it and have steam recognise it and then you could technically get a game for free.

The thing is that it would be a non-steam game as you don't own it in your library. He's asking if it's possible to use the existing core game files he has installed and then have steam install all the steam stuff. 

@TheMonsterMan8

Try what @wtfpieisgood said, it *might* work, but make sure the folder is named "Assassin's Creed 2" exactly (without quotation marks of course), otherwise steam tends to not recognize games.

The thing is that it would be a non-steam game as you don't own it in your library. He's asking if it's possible to use the existing core game files he has installed and then have steam install all the steam stuff. 

@TheMonsterMan8

Try what @wtfpieisgood said, it *might* work, but make sure the folder is named "Assassin's Creed 2" exactly (without quotation marks of course), otherwise steam tends to not recognize games.

Cheers, I'll give that a shot.