MSI Afterburner - can you create per-game profiles?

TheFriendlyHacker

TL;DR - Is it possible to create a "profile" in MSI Afterburner that applies a GPU OC for one specific game, but not to others? And if not, are there any tools that can do this?

I have a GTX 1070 running a 1080p monitor. I have zero problems with this card on all of my games - it hits its expected clocks and performs great....except for Minecraft of all things. While running Minecraft, the card rarely clocks above 924Mhz. Normally this isn't a problem for Minecraft, but I like to use fancy shaders, which are much more graphically intensive. At 924Mhz, I'm averaging 50FPS with very frequent dips below 20FPS. 

I (finally, for the first time) installed MSI Afterburner and manually increased the card's "core clock" by 400mhz. This makes it run at 1265Mhz by default instead of 924, and there is a significant performance boost with Minecraft + shaders. 

However, this also increased the card's maximum boost clock to well over 2000Mhz, which is a bit toasty and unnecessary for the other games I play that actually make full use of the GPU natively.

Basically, being a noob to MSI Afterburner, I was wondering if it's possible to configure per-game OC "profiles". My goal is to have Minecraft run with the OC, but have every other game run with default settings. If that's possible, does anybody have a few pointers / instructions for how to do so? And if not, are there any tools that would allow me to do so?

Thanks in advance!

Two years of IT experience. But at the end of the day: I dunno, I just work here Dave. 

2 hours ago, TheFriendlyHacker said:

TL;DR - Is it possible to create a "profile" in MSI Afterburner that applies a GPU OC for one specific game, but not to others? And if not, are there any tools that can do this?

I have a GTX 1070 running a 1080p monitor. I have zero problems with this card on all of my games - it hits its expected clocks and performs great....except for Minecraft of all things. While running Minecraft, the card rarely clocks above 924Mhz. Normally this isn't a problem for Minecraft, but I like to use fancy shaders, which are much more graphically intensive. At 924Mhz, I'm averaging 50FPS with very frequent dips below 20FPS. 

I (finally, for the first time) installed MSI Afterburner and manually increased the card's "core clock" by 400mhz. This makes it run at 1265Mhz by default instead of 924, and there is a significant performance boost with Minecraft + shaders. 

However, this also increased the card's maximum boost clock to well over 2000Mhz, which is a bit toasty and unnecessary for the other games I play that actually make full use of the GPU natively.

Basically, being a noob to MSI Afterburner, I was wondering if it's possible to configure per-game OC "profiles". My goal is to have Minecraft run with the OC, but have every other game run with default settings. If that's possible, does anybody have a few pointers / instructions for how to do so? And if not, are there any tools that would allow me to do so?

Thanks in advance!

That's odd behavior since it hits boost clocks fine in all other games. Are all your drivers up to date? Is the power setting in the Nvidia control panel set to maximum power/performance?

Afterburner does not have a way automatically apply a certain OC profile based on what game you launch. You CAN save 5 separate profiles and switch between them with a single click (well, okay, two clicks since you have to click the apply check mark). That might be an acceptable work around for when you plan Minecraft since I'm not aware of any program that will let you manage OC on a per-application basis.

image.png.20725f54330b9b9f97e82c426a9db0fe.png

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15