My disc goes 100% usage and everything stops!

santi133

HI!
i got a new  pc few daays ago:

• AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon Vega Graphics    
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER
  • ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
  • 16 GB Ram ddr4
  • two disc: a Lexar SSD (240g) and a 1 tb disc (not ssd)
  • wind10

i't was quarentine time, and oh boy!  time to play, the thing is that i got this constant error where the pc stops everything, the mouse keeps moving, but everything else is freezed, if u where writing a whatsapp mensaje it stops and when it unfreezes(it takes 15- to 40 seconds to unfreeze) the mensaje you where writing will apear.... it seems to be happening randomly, either if u are doing a document just browsing on google, or playing....
since rn its quarentine, nobody will come to check,  so i decided to look for a  fix myself, after some indagation i found that when it happens one of the disc (disc c the one that has windows installed) goes 100% but it isn't writing or reading or writing(if u look in proceces u can't se the 100% only while looking at the graphs)

Spoiler

Spoiler

image.png.27d0a9d2c4102ef2f022e51c992c56a1.png

image.png.077013e40da3ccb48273362634a820f9.png

i look for information about the problem on the internet and found diferents solutions:

(1)

(2)

those are the most common solutions i found, i did those and still, it freezes...

im just a dude that just wanted to kick some butts in some games... but turned to be an idiot with a computer thats randomly freezes

i'm willing to cooperate, if there's more info needed!

(also it's my first pc i have, i had a laptop, so this stuff it's new to me)

Spoiler

Spoiler

(hahahahah, that dude has an rgb computer and its freezes how G-aY)

i also read the pinned message for asking for help but sometimes im kinda of retar-d

btw sorry if my english is kinda bad

If you want to know what is putting the disk to 100%, in task manager open the resource monitor and select the disk tab.

Is your OS on the SSD or the HDD? Sounds to me like a HDD issue, a delay would come from the positioning arms resetting because of read and write errors and retries. Likely a dying drive if that is the your issue. Open your case and carefully listen if the drive is clicking, hard click click click sounds, those would be the drive failing.

But also check windows task manager, under performance open the resource monitor to check if something is eating resources, like an overly eager antivirus or some free-/junkware in the background.

10 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Is your OS on the SSD or the HDD?

nope, it's on the ssd, but anyway, i'll wait until it freezes and i'll hear if there anything weird.

16 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

resource monitor

ok, i'll look for it, if i see anything weird.

52 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

resource monitor

image.thumb.png.98fe3290988be474b5803b4b5d0d18ed.png

image.thumb.png.d5f85b4d72ea340fb8559fab6aaba6c5.png

image.thumb.png.eed46a59e6c7d688d354b7d80aeedfa0.png

i hope it's visible
three differents moments it freeze, if it isn't visible i'll take the photos with my phone instead

42 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

listen if the drive is clicking

no sound at all, just the bruuuuum of the fans 

So your main resource hog besides all the application you have open at the same time is windows web cache. There is guide to fixing this from Microsoft, seems to have something to do with user accounts.

Here is the link: LINK

image.thumb.png.757dbc32f71ba972d4d64ab3d1ad81a1.png

is there some way to know what got that one open?!

it is on use at the moment

image.thumb.png.1d19c58a27c21f9f462b2c9b769720b7.png

update: i deleted the files but, the problem persists.

Are you working or gaming? if you are gamine, maybe disable Mathlab and other productivity apps.

Spoiler

CPU Ryzen 5900X - Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X570-E - RAM 16GB of G.SKILL NEON 3600 -
GPU EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 - Case Mastercase H500p mesh - PSU Seasonic Focus Gx-850 -
Corsair MP600 NVME 1 Tb, Samsung 960 PRO 500 Gb & 2 Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM 2TB in stripe -
Display two VG27AQ 2K monitor - Cooling Corsair H150 Pro - 

Keyboard G-910 W/ Romer G tactile - Mouse G 502 Hero (wired) -
Sound Logitech X-530 and Razer Tiamat headphones

Operating System Windows 10

yesterday i was working but today i was just browsing on google, (discord, whatsapp,messenger and spotify are my always likely to be open apps), it dosen't matter, sometimes it even happens while i left the spotify open playing and left the computer alone so i could read a book and it  freezes

2 hours ago, Quickstrike said:

Are you working or gaming

it's a preety common "error" or at least there's a ton of information but i can't find a proper solution, at least for me

1 hour ago, santi133 said:

yesterday i was working but today i was just browsing on google, (discord, whatsapp,messenger and spotify are my always likely to be open apps), it dosen't matter, sometimes it even happens while i left the spotify open playing and left the computer alone so i could read a book and it  freezes

it's a preety common "error" or at least there's a ton of information but i can't find a proper solution, at least for me

Next time it happens, send us this screen capture and sort by disk usage

screen.png

Spoiler

CPU Ryzen 5900X - Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X570-E - RAM 16GB of G.SKILL NEON 3600 -
GPU EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 - Case Mastercase H500p mesh - PSU Seasonic Focus Gx-850 -
Corsair MP600 NVME 1 Tb, Samsung 960 PRO 500 Gb & 2 Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM 2TB in stripe -

20 hours ago, Quickstrike said:

sort by disk usage

image.thumb.png.0849aacc3146fbdd26401b0518eb0af4.png

i don't see much here, the 100% it's only visible on the graphs

3 hours ago, santi133 said:

image.thumb.png.a19e991b43af083dfbb25887ff0bdd60.pngimage.thumb.png.2408b307ebb4d020fe4dc325d368872b.png

another one

Had a similar issue with an hybrid HDD/SSD on my old laptop. It's your transfer rate that caps.
That drive was busted. I think that may be the case here.

Spoiler

36 minutes ago, Quickstrike said:

That drive was busted

so.... it means i gotta get a new one?!!?

3 minutes ago, santi133 said:

so.... it means i gotta get a new one?!!?

That's what I would do but I keep one or two spare SSD at home.

Try removing the SSD and installing your OS on your HDD. if your rig still does the disk hiccup, that then you'll know the drive isn't the problem.

BTW SSDs have gone way down in the last year. A 240 is like 40 USD.

Spoiler

24 minutes ago, Quickstrike said:

SSDs

well i guess thats the best thing i can do...rn i don't have money for a new one, so i'll wait till all quarentine stuff ends and manage to find more money, thx,

Spoiler

i'll leave the post open if there's no other alternative solution i guess the "100%graph" wins!
(till i buy a new ssd)

• 1 month later...

I have the exact same problem. I change my hdd to ssd. It did lower the freeze time but the random freeze is still there. If there is a way to fix this problem let me know.