PC suddenly underperforming within the past few months

Cheesy117

To preface, this is my current build: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/bVFRFG

So back in December shortly I got my new GPU, an RTX 2070 Super, I noticed my PC was starting to underperform. I had first noticed it in the game Control, which on my GTX 1070 I had no trouble playing, was now unplayable on my RTX 2070 Super, I'm talking very poor framerates even at the lowest settings. Some games were affected less severely than others, Modern Warfare for example ran fine, but began experiencing stuttering that wasn't there before, very brief little freezes, or sudden, very brief, and severe dips in framerate, and Battlefield V didn't see any apparent increase in performance over my 1070, but was also experiencing stuttering, then games like Rainbow Six Siege, and Mordhau saw increases in performance, with some stuttering that wasn't there before, however what performance increases I do get don't seem to be in line with what other people experience, I get at most 90 or so FPS in Mordhau, but most people say, with builds similar to my own, they get well over 100 FPS. Even in Doom 2016 I get these framerate drops, it'll be running at 144 FPS or higher, then suddenly dip down to about 60 for a very brief moment before shooting back up, regardless of whether or not I'm in a high intensity moment in the game.

I've run the 3DMark Fire Strike benchmark, which you can see the results of here https://www.3dmark.com/fs/21924566
It seems to indicate that I'm not doing as well as most people with a build like mine, and I can't narrow down the cause for it. I ran MSI Afterburner during some of my more graphically demanding games, like BFV, and I can't see anything that looks immediately off, but I'm also no expert, you can find a screenshot of BFV with the MSI Afterburner OSD active here:

viDjHj2.jpg

It's not unusual for me to hit well below 60 FPS in some cases in BFV with a mix of high and low settings.

I've tried many different things to try and narrow down the issue, but so far am at a loss. I've updated my BIOS, reinstalled windows, formatting the SSD the OS is installed to and everything, I've removed and reinstalled the GPU drivers using DDU multiple times, I've even tried reinstalling my old GTX 1070, and the issues I have currently persist with the old GPU, telling me it's not a defect in my new one either. I purchased a new PSU, as my previous one was 520w (the RTX 2070 Super asks for 650w), which didn't improve anything, closing literally anything that could be running in the background didn't improve things either. My last result was actually taking my PC in to a repair place to see if they could narrow it down, but unfortunately they couldn't either. I've run a variety of other monitoring software, which tells me everything is normal, but it sure doesn't seem like it.

Is there anything I could try to help narrow it down? Is there anything in what I've provided that might tell you guys what the issue could be? I'm kinda at the point where I might try replacing my mobo, ram, and cpu, as I've heard my CPU could potentially be the bottleneck for my GPU, and my mobo and ram are very basic, could they be the issue at all?

Instead of reinstalling Windows, using DDU "multiple times" (for what?), you should focus on configure things.

First - try to set in NVidia control panel power to Adaptive. Then use MSI Afterburner to control your temperatures (and fans). If they're too high, underclock core and memory (use MSI Afterburner for that). Try to check what happens if you enable vertical sync (maybe your GPU overheats because calculating too many unnecessary frames in the air).

Focus on problem, do not try to solving problems by just reinstalling system, because it will not tell you what is/was wrong (unless answer "SOMETHING was wrong" is ok for you).

9 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Instead of reinstalling Windows, using DDU "multiple times" (for what?), you should focus on configure things.

First - try to set in NVidia control panel power to Adaptive. Then use MSI Afterburner to control your temperatures (and fans). If they're too high, underclock core and memory (use MSI Afterburner for that). Try to check what happens if you enable vertical sync (maybe your GPU overheats because calculating too many unnecessary frames in the air).

Focus on problem, do not try to solving problems by just reinstalling system, because it will not tell you what is/was wrong (unless answer "SOMETHING was wrong" is ok for you).

My temps for my CPU and GPU are all quite normal, I also have like no idea how to underclock or overclock things, I use MSI Afterburner for monitoring diagnostics, but don't know the first thing about the other stuff. Having vertical sync enabled or disabled doesn't seem to make a difference.

Setting my power settings to adaptive is something I haven't, and will give a try though. 

EDIT: Tried the benchmark again with power set to adaptive, no difference, scored about 17000

I ran MSI Afterburner during Half Life Alyx while I was encountering a rather large performance dip, my CPU usage dropped quite low here, not sure if there's anything here that's indicative of what's going on, but it doesn't appear to be thermal. z0hlcrY.jpg

Hello!

In the past week, I've experience really bad performance aswell and I cannot fix it.

Started with one day - about a week ago - I went into FH4 in the morning before work to play an hour or so. Everything ran perfectly. Then I went in to play again after work, and suddently my FPS went from 75-ish to 45-ish with the 45-ish FPS being really stuttery and laggy. I tried reinstalling GPU drivers - which worked the first time (tried an older driver) - then after a day (after PC was turned off and then on) performance was really bad again. Back to 45-ish FPS. Then I tried other GPU drivers, which had no effect. Then I looked after updates for Windows and there was an update - think it was for framework or something like that - I installed it, and damn my FPS was back to normal.
Then a day after, performance was bad again - 45-ish FPS was back. I then tried turning off various different softwares and nothing worked. Then I tried closing the Oculus rift services running in the background when the headset wasn't being used and damn, it worked. FPS was back to normal. And then - you probably guessed it - a day after the FPS was back at 45-ish... This time closing the Oculus rift services or whatever you wanna call them did not help. Then I noticed I no longer was able to watch 4K HDR content on my PC. Now I had a choppy playback with 8FPS. Then I thought, whatever, I'll format my PC which I've done. And nope, did not work either. Totally fresh Windows install with fresh drivers. NOPE. Did not work.

Now today, I went into to Star Wars Battlefront 2 because it does run kinda normally, with NZXT CAM turned off(used it before - also when I had no problems at all). Then I thought about trying FH4 for fun, see if it runs good, and damn it did. Ran perfectly smooth. Then I thought, hmm, maybe I can watch 4K HDR content again - and damn, it worked perfectly. Then I rebooted my PC to see if the performance would "stick" and nope, it did not, performance was back to terrible - back to the same 45-ish FPS in FH4 and 4K HDR playback is impossible again (the 8 FPS). And nope, having NZXT CAM turned off this time did not do anything.

I've seen two other guys on Reddit, with very different PC's, playing very different things, in the last week or so (like me) suddently have poor performance (again, like me).

I does sound like it's a Windows issue, right?

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus