Help with new Ryzen PCs

Wreighn
Go to solution Solved by Streetguru,
24 minutes ago, Wreighn said:

@Streetguru 3600mhz CL16 is out of my price range (32 is not absolutely necessary, but it gives me peace of mind when working with VMs). I'd be willing to reconsider the size if speed and timings make too great of an impact.

@piratemonkey Just how important are the timings? The gskill ones I listed have CL16-18-18-38. How much would that impact performance.

Then 3000mhz CL16 should be fine, might be able to overclock it a bit anyways.

it's harder to run 32GBs at higher speeds in general as well.

it's maybe a 5% difference in some games, so it's not too huge.

Hi, two of my friends and I have decided to finally upgrade our PCs, and we are all going with a similar configuration (motherboard, cpu and ram (gpus may differ)).

At the core of our builds will be Ryzen 7 2700 (or x)  (140e or 170e). 

For the motherboard we chose Gigabyte AM4 B450M (65e).

All of the B450M motherboards seem to be fairly similar. If you guys think one of them is much better than the others but is still within that price point, please correct me.

As for the RAM, I've heard that Ryzen 2xxx series CPUs are very picky, and need fast RAM in order to shine. I was going for 32gb, and as for the cheap offers, I found the following kits:

• G.SKILL 32GB Sniper 3000MHz X F4-3000C16D-32GSXWB (130e)
  • G.SKILL 32GB Aegis 3000MHz F4-3000C16D-32GISB (135e)
  • PATRIOT 32GB Viper Elite 2800MHz PVE432G280C6KRD (135e)

I just listed a few cheap ones that have high frequencies. If there is anything else I should be looking out for when it comes to RAM, please point it out.

As you can see, we are going for the best bang for the buck here. If you guys have any suggestions on what can be done differently, we are open to suggestions.

PS: I know that 32GB of RAM may be overkill for gaming. I myself might get that much for futureproofing purposes, and since I'm working with VMs. My friends will probably go with 16GB.

Edited by Wreighn

don't think 32gb is necessary at all, unless you do need it for some reason like video editing, aside from that don't go lower than 3000mhz, as for the brands, i have the patriot viper and it has given me no grief, it performs as advertised.

if it is your first time building the pcs yourselves then i recommend going for an atx (not micro atx) motherboard and getting a full tower case.

8 minutes ago, Wreighn said:

If you're mostly gaming grab an R5 3600 with 3600mhz CL16 RAM, do you really need 32GBs as well?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

i would suggest looking at timings too, as that can make a big difference. ~15-16-16-35 should be good, give or take a few

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

@Streetguru 3600mhz CL16 is out of my price range (32 is not absolutely necessary, but it gives me peace of mind when working with VMs). I'd be willing to reconsider the size if speed and timings make too great of an impact.

@piratemonkey Just how important are the timings? The gskill ones I listed have CL16-18-18-38. How much would that impact performance.

24 minutes ago, Wreighn said:

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Thanks!

5% is definitely something I can live with. 

28 minutes ago, Wreighn said:

those would be acceptable,as youd be able to tighten them to maybe 13-13-13-33 or so. i have 2133mhz and 11-11-11-30 on 3rd gen ryzen, and ive been satisfied with it, so i wouldnt sweat it

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct