No post to screen

Charlifr
Go to solution Solved by Tera Byte,

Also, if the pc turns on for a few seconds but then turns off, In my experience  it may be a CPU overheating issue. However if it stays on and you have to turn it off, it could be the graphics card, (If you have one that is) it could be the video out on the motherboard, it could be the monitor, or it could be something as simple as the display cable.

To test if it is the graphics card plug the display cable into the motherboard and try to boot it up, if you get a display you need a new graphics card.

To test if its the motherboard you can get a different cable and plug it into a different spot on the mobo.

To test if it's the monitor and you don't have another monitor you can plug it into a T.V.

Cable is self explanatory.

Hey, my specs are in my bio

My PC turns on, fans turning on CPU, case and GPU, but not post to screen.the monitor is in perfect condition, it's the pcs problem, I have tried changing ram slots to no avail. When plugging in peripherals to the usb, the lights on the mouse don't come on, perhaps a mobo problem? Many thanks

17 minutes ago, Charlifr said:

Hey, my specs are in my bio

My PC turns on, fans turning on CPU, case and GPU, but not post to screen.the monitor is in perfect condition, it's the pcs problem, I have tried changing ram slots to no avail. When plugging in peripherals to the usb, the lights on the mouse don't come on, perhaps a mobo problem? Many thanks

If you have a speaker on your mobo, yank the RAM and power on. If the board is good, it should beep at you.

If you get no beeps, then it's likely either the mobo or more rarely, CPU.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

33 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

If you have a speaker on your mobo, yank the RAM and power on. If the board is good, it should beep at you.

If you get no beeps, then it's likely either the mobo or more rarely, CPU.

I took the ram out, the buzzer made no noise. Additionally the pc kept turning on and off, something it didn't do when the ram was installed

19 minutes ago, Charlifr said:

Additionally the pc kept turning on and off, something it didn't do when the ram was installed

That's normal behaviour, it can't post because there is no RAM to post with.

How new is this system?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

17 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

That's normal behaviour, it can't post because there is no RAM to post with.

How new is this system?

It's a year old, custom made by myself

3 hours ago, Charlifr said:

It's a year old, custom made by myself

Ok, so I assume it was working, and then it stopped?

What changed in the time it was working, to when it didn't work?

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Ok, so I assume it was working, and then it stopped?

What changed in the time it was working, to when it didn't work?

The PSU cable was nocked, turning the pc off

1 minute ago, Charlifr said:

The PSU cable was nocked, turning the pc off

So it's possible a short freaked it out.

I assume you've pulled the power cord, and waited like one hour for the caps to fully drain, before trying again?

21 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

So it's possible a short freaked it out.

I assume you've pulled the power cord, and waited like one hour for the caps to fully drain, before trying again?

No, I tried turning it on again, what are the caps?

12 hours ago, Charlifr said:

No, I tried turning it on again, what are the caps?

Capacitors, the little round tower things in a power supply and on the motherboard, that hold and regulate power

Your'e going to want to unplug the psi cable keeping to power supply switch too on. Wait a hour or so and press and hold the power button to fully drain the capacitors. You won't have to hold the power button for the whole time just a few minutes, if that.

If your motherboard has a small digital display that shows codes look at the read out while trying to start it up. If you can get a code from the motherboard than you can look it up with the model and manufacturer of the motherboard.

Also, if the pc turns on for a few seconds but then turns off, In my experience  it may be a CPU overheating issue. However if it stays on and you have to turn it off, it could be the graphics card, (If you have one that is) it could be the video out on the motherboard, it could be the monitor, or it could be something as simple as the display cable.

To test if it is the graphics card plug the display cable into the motherboard and try to boot it up, if you get a display you need a new graphics card.

To test if its the motherboard you can get a different cable and plug it into a different spot on the mobo.

To test if it's the monitor and you don't have another monitor you can plug it into a T.V.

Cable is self explanatory.

You may also want to try to reset the CMOS which you can find out how to do on the internet. If you find it to be the graphics card you may want to put the graphics card into a different slot on the mobo if you have one, if it posts then you probably want to replace the motherboard if you are using the system for gaming because the top most slot has the most bandwidth. If you put the graphics card into a lower a slot and then start-up your favorite game you will probably notice that it is significantly slower. However if your not gaming or creating any content like video editing, photo editing, etc. you may be fine with using it like that without having to replace the motherboard. If anything that I have put doesn't work add onto the thread here and I'll be happy to keep helping you through your pc diagnostics.

-TB

Edited by Tera Byte
Added more info