Will my CPU bottleneck a new GPU

Go to solution Solved by Fedora,
2 minutes ago, AcePro said:

Depending on the cpu. Because if you go for a cheaper i3 or ryzen 3, it wouldn't justify the upgrade. Since the i7 you have can be boosted faster, it wouldnt make sense for a lower priced cpu. On the other hand, something like the ryzen 5/7, i5/i7 would give you more cores and more threads. This would better spread the load, allowing for a better gameplay experience. Also the new architecture would be better for an rtx 2060. But they can get expensive. 

So right now, you would be fine with your cpu, but ill say upgrade in the future if you need that horsepower ;)

Appreciate! i'll go for the 2060 for sure, like you said wait on it as i'll be fine for now! thanks for clarifying this

unknown.png.06e50c44277088002cf3587a5b1ea100.png

Hey guys so I haven't updated my pc in years, and I wanted to play doom eternal relatively fast, and at least hit recommended specs; above are the specs for it ("Ultra Nightmare specs" is the game maxed out)

supposedly the game will run on Vulkan only and helps lower end hardware but I don't wanna take chances.

So I thought upgrading my MSI GTX 980 to either a RTX Super Gaming X or a RTX 2060 would make sense

will my cpu bottleneck it?

most importantly how noticeable will  the increase in performance actually be not sure it's actually worth it?

(Here is a bench mark with the i7 4790k and RTX 2060 https://www.gpucheck.com/gpu/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060/intel-core-i7-4790k-4-00ghz/)

These are my specs

MSI GTX 980

i7-4790k

24gb of DDR3 pny I think

Coolermaster V750 80+ Gold

Thanks in advance :)

I think your CPU should be fine for a RTX 2060. The 2060 isn't a very demanding GPU. It will be just fine for doom. But if you want a better performance boost, i'd say upgrade to a better CPU and motherboard that has DDR4 support, Since your running DDR3.

1 minute ago, AcePro said:

I think your CPU should be fine for a RTX 2060. The 2060 isn't a very demanding GPU. It will be just fine for doom. 

Thanks! where do you think I will fall into on their specs category? 

Just now, AcePro said:

for Doom?

Yes, additionally upgrading cpu and mobo how much of a boost do you think i'll actually get?

Doom should run at 1080p 60fps with the 2060. But the cpu and mobo upgrades are mainly for the newer DDR4 ram, which is quite better, and a better cpu for the newer architectures, giving you a better overall experience. The boost would depend on the cpu. No point of getting an i3 or ryzen 3 because that will still be a bottleneck.

1 minute ago, AcePro said:

Doom should run at 1080p 60fps with the 2060. But the cpu and mobo upgrades are mainly for the newer DDR4 ram, which is quite better, and a better cpu for the newer architectures, giving you a better overall experience.  

Ah thanks man! now are you talking massive improvements or small improvements for doing that?

Depending on the cpu. Because if you go for a cheaper i3 or ryzen 3, it wouldn't justify the upgrade. Since the i7 you have can be boosted faster, it wouldnt make sense for a lower priced cpu. On the other hand, something like the ryzen 5/7, i5/i7 would give you more cores and more threads. This would better spread the load, allowing for a better gameplay experience. Also the new architecture would be better for an rtx 2060. But they can get expensive. 

So right now, you would be fine with your cpu, but ill say upgrade in the future if you need that horsepower ;)

2 minutes ago, AcePro said:

Appreciate! i'll go for the 2060 for sure, like you said wait on it as i'll be fine for now! thanks for clarifying this