TIM on CPU pins

Guys, I done messed up. As the title clearly explains, i got a little TIM on my CPU pins.

im sure I’m not the first to have done this, so how do I clean it?? 

not the best photo as you can see. I had a little TIM on my finger and got it in the middle pins by accident. 

image.jpg

been here

you can gently dab a paper towel with isopropyl alcohol on it, then dab with a dry paper towel. The discoloration may never go away but it'll work.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

been here

you can gently dab a paper towel with isopropyl alcohol on it, then dab with a dry paper towel. The discoloration may never go away but it'll work.

Will surgical spirits work? 

im more worried about the raised ones in the middle ??‍♂️ It’s gotten in between those and I’m not sure how to get it all out. I’ve used a coffee filter to get what I can out but as for the rest I’m at a loss

3 minutes ago, Skullbiter said:

Guys, I done messed up. As the title clearly explains, i got a little TIM on my CPU pins.

im sure I’m not the first to have done this, so how do I clean it?? 

not the best photo as you can see. I had a little TIM on my finger and got it in the middle pins by accident. 

We've all done it, and anyone who says they haven't hasn't installed enough CPUs.

Dip a Q-tip in 91% or higher (ideally, 70% will work but needs longer to dry) isopropyl/rubbing alcohol, then gently dab or wipe it on the areas where thermal paste got onto the CPU. Let it sit for 30 seconds or so, then gently pat it with a microfiber cloth and let it dry. Repeat if necessary. It's not dead, Jim.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

8 minutes ago, Skullbiter said:

im more worried about the raised ones in the middle ??‍♂️ It’s gotten in between those and I’m not sure how to get it all out. I’ve used a coffee filter to get what I can out but as for the rest I’m at a loss

Get a toothbrush and dab it with alcohol and gently scrape to get everything out, don't start mashing the whole toothbrush, just the tip of it where there's only a few strands, be patient and don't apply force.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

12 minutes ago, Skullbiter said:

according to google apparently that's the same thing

I wouldn't be too worried about the bits you can't get out. If the CPU works, it's no issue. Thermal paste isn't conductive

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

No harm done, clean it as suggested above.

Also need to point out those aren't CPU pins, those are small capacitors and such you got the TIM onto.

I've included a pic of what pins are on a CPU so you'd know what they are and what the terminology relates to. Sometimes using the correct terminology for something makes a world of difference.

CPU Pins 2.jpg

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

33 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

No harm done, clean it as suggested above.

Also need to point out those aren't CPU pins, those are small capacitors and such you got the TIM onto.

I've included a pic of what pins are on a CPU so you'd know what they are and what the terminology relates to. Sometimes using the correct terminology for something makes a world of difference.

CPU Pins 2.jpg

Thank you, still a noob .. big oof getting TIM on the one you showed me

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

according to google apparently that's the same thing

I wouldn't be too worried about the bits you can't get out. If the CPU works, it's no issue. Thermal paste isn't conductive

It works! Thanks for the reassurance! 

image.jpg