Laptop upgrade

Dawx
Go to solution Solved by SpookyCitrus,
On 3/12/2020 at 4:49 AM, Dawx said:

I currently have hdd, but laptop has nvme2 slot too, and mb accepts upto 32 gb, i checked, it has 2x slots for memory, so that means its dual channel? Then i have to get 2 dual channel sticks to get it working? 

Most laptops aren't really "upgradable" the only two things you can upgrade on 90% of them is the memory and the storage drive. If the laptop has two slots then you can buy a  2x8GB kit of memory. They have them on Amazon and Newegg for reasonable prices. You should/need to upgrade to an SSD, standard HDDs won't cut it, they haven't for years. They're fantastic for data storage but actually using as a boot drive? No not anymore. If I were you I'd open up the laptop and physically check to make sure there are two memory slots first before purchasing, because some manufacturers will say they have two slots but only have one that isn't soldered and the other is, if you do have an Nvme M.2 slot then picking up an Nvme SSD is also a great idea. Pleas keep in mind this may improve the gaming experience a tiny bit but it definitely won't be a miracle, if you want much better FPS and a better gaming experience you should invest in a newer, better laptop or a desktop(which is the best option for gaming).

2x8GB kit of CL16 2400mhz memory - $65

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Memory-2400MHz-SODIMM-CMSX16GX4M2A2400C16/dp/B019MRBKYG/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=ddr4%2Blaptop%2Bmemory&qid=1584115278&refinements=p_n_feature_five_browse-bin%3A677429011&rnid=673240011&s=pc&sr=1-1&th=1

1TB Nvme SSD - $130 

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Rocket-Internal-Performance-SB-RKTQ-1TB/dp/B07ZZYWTBP/ref=sxin_2_ac_d_pm?ac_md=2-1-QmV0d2VlbiAkMTAwIGFuZCAkMTUw-ac_d_pm&cv_ct_cx=sabrent+rocket&keywords=sabrent+rocket&pd_rd_i=B07ZZYWTBP&pd_rd_r=94090f0e-b29e-4bb3-95aa-51c88403df2f&pd_rd_w=JionA&pd_rd_wg=BYSZO&pf_rd_p=0e223c60-bcf8-4663-98f3-da892fbd4372&pf_rd_r=RQ4C9Q4K7S9ZBS5BE3R0&psc=1&qid=1584115392&s=electronics

Hi,

I was planning on upgrading my laptop with 8 more gb of ram, hopefully I will be able to run COD: Warzone on 30 fps.

Here is my configuration:

CPU: i5-7300hq

GPU: 1050 4 gb

MB: Lenovo LNVNB161216

Memory: Ramaxel DDR4 8 GB, single, not sure about frequency it says DDR4-2666(1333MHz)

Any suggestions on RAM? All this RAM versions are a bit confusing to me, so I'm asking here.

Thanks in advance!

Does the laptop have single channel or duel channel? sometimes manufactours only preinstall 1 stick even though there are 2 channels 

That being said though I have a doubtful feeling that adding more RAM wont help that much in your case. Most games only need 8GB. Its only when youre doing alot of multitasking, or playing really large games with alot of detail you would need more then that. (example: escape from trakov)

2 hours ago, Ndwolfy780 said:

Does the laptop have single channel or duel channel? sometimes manufactours only preinstall 1 stick even though there are 2 channels 

That being said though I have a doubtful feeling that adding more RAM wont help that much in your case. Most games only need 8GB. Its only when youre doing alot of multitasking, or playing really large games with alot of detail you would need more then that. (example: escape from trakov)

Im not at pc rn, but I remember it was sth single in memory tab in CPUZ, can I replace that stick with dual channel stick? 

19 hours ago, Dawx said:

Im not at pc rn, but I remember it was sth single in memory tab in CPUZ, can I replace that stick with dual channel stick? 

RAM sticks arent specific for single dual or quad channel its just what the motherboard has. You can use any RAM stick really as long as its the right interface. but if you get a dual channel kit and you only have one channel youre essentially wasting the other stick cause theres not a spot for it on the motherboard. 

In all honesty mate the upgrade isnt worth it if you want to get better performace id recommend getting a better laptop or a tower. Cause towers give you way more ability to upgrade and swap parts and the only thing you can really "upgrade" on your laptop would be giving it more RAM (but as I mentioned before doesnt actually give you that much more performace increase if any at all) and the harddrive which half the time you cant even upgarde that either.

I currently have hdd, but laptop has nvme2 slot too, and mb accepts upto 32 gb, i checked, it has 2x slots for memory, so that means its dual channel? Then i have to get 2 dual channel sticks to get it working? image.png.c330d76285317c047ea65e4c97bcb8bc.pngimage.png.80aac2947620ab29daf79977f7e52dda.png

On 3/12/2020 at 4:49 AM, Dawx said:

I currently have hdd, but laptop has nvme2 slot too, and mb accepts upto 32 gb, i checked, it has 2x slots for memory, so that means its dual channel? Then i have to get 2 dual channel sticks to get it working? 

Most laptops aren't really "upgradable" the only two things you can upgrade on 90% of them is the memory and the storage drive. If the laptop has two slots then you can buy a  2x8GB kit of memory. They have them on Amazon and Newegg for reasonable prices. You should/need to upgrade to an SSD, standard HDDs won't cut it, they haven't for years. They're fantastic for data storage but actually using as a boot drive? No not anymore. If I were you I'd open up the laptop and physically check to make sure there are two memory slots first before purchasing, because some manufacturers will say they have two slots but only have one that isn't soldered and the other is, if you do have an Nvme M.2 slot then picking up an Nvme SSD is also a great idea. Pleas keep in mind this may improve the gaming experience a tiny bit but it definitely won't be a miracle, if you want much better FPS and a better gaming experience you should invest in a newer, better laptop or a desktop(which is the best option for gaming).

2x8GB kit of CL16 2400mhz memory - $65

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Memory-2400MHz-SODIMM-CMSX16GX4M2A2400C16/dp/B019MRBKYG/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=ddr4%2Blaptop%2Bmemory&qid=1584115278&refinements=p_n_feature_five_browse-bin%3A677429011&rnid=673240011&s=pc&sr=1-1&th=1

1TB Nvme SSD - $130 

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Rocket-Internal-Performance-SB-RKTQ-1TB/dp/B07ZZYWTBP/ref=sxin_2_ac_d_pm?ac_md=2-1-QmV0d2VlbiAkMTAwIGFuZCAkMTUw-ac_d_pm&cv_ct_cx=sabrent+rocket&keywords=sabrent+rocket&pd_rd_i=B07ZZYWTBP&pd_rd_r=94090f0e-b29e-4bb3-95aa-51c88403df2f&pd_rd_w=JionA&pd_rd_wg=BYSZO&pf_rd_p=0e223c60-bcf8-4663-98f3-da892fbd4372&pf_rd_r=RQ4C9Q4K7S9ZBS5BE3R0&psc=1&qid=1584115392&s=electronics

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |