Linux- How to code it yourself?

I've been doing a bit of research on this forum and a few other forums on which version of Linux would be good for new users. 

One member had recommended to another that they code it from the start so they understand the OS as a whole. This interested me quite a bit, and I would like to learn how to do this.

Where could I learn how to do this? Can one of you teach me? Where do I start? 

I'm a pretty quick learner, especially things I'm interested in, and linux seems cool.

Thank you in advance.

//ccap

What it sounds like you want to do is compile your own copy. I have never done it but Linux from scratch (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/) looks like a good place to start.

If you want to actually code your own OS from scratch there are other resources but that doesn't quite sound like what you're after since it wouldn't be Linux.

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

I just posted a thread about C# programming using Xubuntu. I found that Xubuntu is really easy to learn, it took me about 2-3 days to get the hang of it.

But I don't know about coding an OS....

The coding of your own Linux distribution is relatively straight forward. LFS will give you all the tools you need. You can even make it compatible with say .deb or .rpm files from another distro if you so choose. The HARDEST thing about writing your own OS is if you just have to have your own File System. That my friend takes a long time to get correct and not be shit. Especially all by yourself.

I've been doing a bit of research on this forum and a few other forums on which version of Linux would be good for new users. 

One member had recommended to another that they code it from the start so they understand the OS as a whole. This interested me quite a bit, and I would like to learn how to do this.

Where could I learn how to do this? Can one of you teach me? Where do I start? 

I'm a pretty quick learner, especially things I'm interested in, and linux seems cool.

Thank you in advance.

Experienced linux user here.

Coding and compiling are different things, some linux users will compile their own core kernel so they don't have all the cruft that major distributions come with to support every PC imaginable.

Doing this gives you knowledge of all the core components of the kernel, this is great, but its only the bit that controls the rest of the OS.

Next is the programs needed to build up the rest of the basic features, there is two main options here, linux from scratch or gentoo. LFS you will compile everything from the source repositories from that program, gentoo actually provides a core source code repository that is easier to compile and install the programs from.

Now, there is another option (which I use personally) which cuts out the many hours (sometimes days) of waiting for programs to compile but still gives a relatively deep insight into how linux works, and that is archlinux.

Arch is a minimalist rolling release distro that aims to be up to date with program releases, the core arch install has only the core essentials of linux needed for the OS to run plus a package manager (pacman) that you can use to install more packages.

I hope this helps. 

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?