MSI weird offset caused my Ryzen 5 2600 to run at 1.79V

Hello,

I'll start with my components (that I feel are relevant to the story):

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

MOBO: MSI B450M Pro-VDH Plus

CPU Cooler: Arctic 34 esports duo

PSU: EVGA GQ750W

So I was testing my ryzen safe overclock capabilities with a new cooler, ended up with 1.35V and 4.1GHz. To make things cooler in idle, as well as limit power consumption I thought about applying offset. Weirdly enough (I didn't know that) 0V offset is around 1.4V, and my previous experience with Gigabyte motherboard learned me that 0V offset gonna be 1.1V, hence why I have applied +0.25V. While booting the fans ramped up to 100% (which made me suspicious) - launched prime 95 and happened again, so looked for temps which were around 100C. That made me extremely suspicious, as normally they wouldn't exceed 65C under load. And there's that - I've looked at voltages, the CPU was running at 1.79V, I shut down my PC immediately. Whole thing lasted around 4-5 minutes, and prime95 small fft's were running for around a minute. 

I've put override voltage again, and 4.1GHz - it seems stable, so I guess nothing happened other than reducing lifespan of that CPU. Or am I wrong, how to check it? No smoke on VRM's and such, lol. Maybe the offset and throttling prevented any issues?

I'm also confused, as regardless of putting everything on auto or OC doesn't seem to change my idle power consumption which is around 30-33W according to sensors. Tried to disable PBO, but it doesn't change anything, does it mean my initial offset desire is pointless or am I doing something wrong? Maybe I should do Pstates?

2 minutes ago, uberas said:

Hello,

Could it be VID and not core voltage that you saw ? How did you monitor the voltage with Prime 95 ?

3 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

Hello,

Could it be VID and not core voltage that you saw ? How did you monitor the voltage with Prime 95 ?

Both CPU-Z and Msi afterburner, it was core voltage for sure

5 minutes ago, uberas said:

Both CPU-Z and Msi afterburner, it was core voltage for sure

That's suspicious then, 1.79V and "only" 100°C, it should have shut down on it's own or fry the CPU especially with such high voltage and not on LN2.

2 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

That's suspicious then, 1.79V and "only" 100°C, it should have shut down on it's own or fry the CPU especially with such high voltage and not on LN2.

That’s why I think some throttling or whatever kicked in? Haven’t checked clockspeed

3 minutes ago, uberas said:

That’s why I think some throttling or whatever kicked in? Haven’t checked clockspeed

I don't need to use offset on my CPU, I just used the offset on the frequency but not on the voltage (-0.1 or -0.2 GHz). It's weird that a +0.25V would go up to 1.79V instead of 1.65V. Which is already too much btw since you really don't want to go above 1.5V, 1.45V is really the max I'd push.

4 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

I don't need to use offset on my CPU, I just used the offset on the frequency but not on the voltage (-0.1 or -0.2 GHz). It's weird that a +0.25V would go up to 1.79V instead of 1.65V. Which is already too much btw since you really don't want to go above 1.5V, 1.45V is really the max I'd push.

But would that uncore do anything tho? As I said, there’s no difference with auto or 1.35V in idle according to sensors (around 30-33W) and I use Ryzen balanced plan 

I was trying not to exceed 1.375V, as some guy on reddit found that’s the limit for hard cpu degradation (like needing more volts to sustain same clocks in 4-6months time). That’s why I’ve put 1.35V (as LLC will obviously go a bit higher to that 1.375V area)

Anyways, I don’t need that overclock. Leaving everything on auto is really solid after that cooler change and I have 3775-3825mhz all cores under stress and constant 3900mhz while gaming. Adding that to gtx1650super yields no need for OC whatsoever, was just trying to check what’s my borderline 

Uncore or cache/bus/ring is important too, it doesn't recquire more voltage and usually it's 0.1 or 0.2 GHz under your OC (my OC is at 5GHz while uncore is at 4.9GHz). But since I'm not entirely sure what it is : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncore

If you're happy with what you have keep it that way, no need to push your CPU if you don't notice that much improvement :)

8 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

Uncore or cache/bus/ring is important too, it doesn't recquire more voltage and usually it's 0.1 or 0.2 GHz under your OC (my OC is at 5GHz while uncore is at 4.9GHz). But since I'm not entirely sure what it is : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncore

If you're happy with what you have keep it that way, no need to push your CPU if you don't notice that much improvement :)

I mean .1% lows are pretty bad with 2600, and mainly that’s the reason of my overclocking. Well, whatever I’ll probably swap it for 3600. Thanks for help