Ryzen 7 3700X & Corsair RAM compatibility issues?

Just now, nick name said:

Turn them all off.  Run without them and see what happens.  I'm assuming you have a NZXT cooler?

I don't think this is a RAM problem.  You seem to have done a thorough job of testing it.  

I’ll give that a try. I’m using a NZXT fan controller (custom fan profiles for my case fans). I’m not using any of their overlay options however as I personally think their software is garbage.

1 minute ago, patrickl96 said:

I’ll give that a try. I’m using a NZXT fan controller (custom fan profiles for my case fans). I’m not using any of their overlay options however as I personally think their software is garbage.

Well they're all garbage.  To a certain degree they all poll the system in a similar way and as such they step on each other's dicks.  Then your system shits itself.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Just remember that you're not the bad guy here . . . you're the victim.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

12 minutes ago, nick name said:

Just remember that you're not the bad guy here . . . you're the victim.  

Lol yeah, I hate troubleshooting on PCs sometimes. Some issues can be figured out quickly through trial and error and then weird shit happens that takes forever to sort out.

When I buy a new case for my PC I’ll eventually change to a Corsair fan hub so then I can use iCue to manage fan profiles (better developed software too IMO) and ditch NZXT. The best I can do at the moment is to run less software.

1 minute ago, patrickl96 said:

Lol yeah, I hate troubleshooting on PCs sometimes. Some issues can be figured out quickly through trial and error and then weird shit happens that takes forever to sort out.

When I buy a new case for my PC I’ll eventually change to a Corsair fan hub so then I can use iCue to manage fan profiles (better developed software too IMO) and ditch NZXT. The best I can do at the moment is to run less software.

If you're gonna run any third-party software then buy hardware within that ecosystem and run only one program.  I personally prefer to run everything like fans through BIOS as it's more efficient and doesn't conflict with any else. 

If you're running all the same types of fans then just by a cable splitter.  And if you're running different types of fans then group the same fans together with splitters and run them off the same fan header and control them in BIOS.  

On my radiator I have three Noctuas and three Corsair fans.  I have two three way splitters that go on different fan headers.  I then set the speed for each header.  

I don't run any utilities other than HWiNFO.  

9 hours ago, patrickl96 said:

I’m typically noticing issues while gaming on Call of Duty Modern Warfare. If I’m running both sticks of RAM my frame rates will eventually drop from 150-160 down to 55-60. If I restart my entire PC and boot up the game again it’ll work okay for another 20-30 minutes before doing the same thing again. As for temps the GPU runs typically between 70-75°C.

From what I’ve tested so far I believe I have a faulty RAM stick as I’ve switched to the ‘second’ RAM stick as the only one being installed and that gives me issues, but changing back to the ‘first’ RAM stick those issues don’t appear to occur (or at least not as soon)

I bet the card gets to 70 and starts throttling. Pretty normal proceedure.

Keep an eye on temps and clocksto confirm.

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

I bet the card gets to 70 and starts throttling. Pretty normal proceedure.

Keep an eye on temps and clocksto confirm.

Nah that card always gets up to that temp and still runs around 1950-2000MHz (even before I upgraded CPU) and I’ll still get 140-160fps with no problems, I’ve never seen this card thermal throttle before.

Today I’ve also tested different RAM from another PC (2x4GB Gskill Ripjaws running at 2133MHz) and I’m experiencing the same issues - after 30 mins of gaming my frame rates drop to 50-60fps. I’ve determined that my problem now might be with the CPU or motherboard. I’ve got a Ryzen 2400G spare that I’ll test next on my motherboard and see how it performs.

2 minutes ago, patrickl96 said:

Nah that card always gets up to that temp and still runs around 1950-2000MHz (even before I upgraded CPU) and I’ll still get 140-160fps with no problems, I’ve never seen this card thermal throttle before.

Today I’ve also tested different RAM from another PC (2x4GB Gskill Ripjaws running at 2133MHz) and I’m experiencing the same issues - after 30 mins of gaming my frame rates drop to 50-60fps. I’ve determined that my problem now might be with the CPU or motherboard. I’ve got a Ryzen 2400G spare that I’ll test next on my motherboard and see how it performs.

Id double check. You say nah, I watch my 2060s throttle at this temp. I watch them pretty close while I crunch numbers (folding at home) and they stay close to 2000mhz until about 65 and incrementally as temps increase clocks slowly come down.

Pretty much how you desceibed your frame rates.

A slower cpu will tell you nothing. I wouldnt waste the time there.

10 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Id double check. You say nah, I watch my 2060s throttle at this temp. I watch them pretty close while I crunch numbers (folding at home) and they stay close to 2000mhz until about 65 and incrementally as temps increase clocks slowly come down.

Pretty much how you desceibed your frame rates.

A slower cpu will tell you nothing. I wouldnt waste the time there.

I just don’t understand why I get better performance on my older system when the GPU was operating at the same temps. Sure it’s overall framerates were lower, but that’s because I was using an Intel i7-4790. Right now I’ll get really good framerates at the same temp (75°C usually) and even sitting at that temp for 30 mins is fine, until my system shits itself after this time and then I have to reboot my PC again. Once I start gaming again my temps will again sit at 75°C and work for a short while longer.

considering my graphics card has remained consistent throughout my upgrade, I’m certain that it won’t be the issue.

1 hour ago, patrickl96 said:

I just don’t understand why I get better performance on my older system when the GPU was operating at the same temps. Sure it’s overall framerates were lower, but that’s because I was using an Intel i7-4790. Right now I’ll get really good framerates at the same temp (75°C usually) and even sitting at that temp for 30 mins is fine, until my system shits itself after this time and then I have to reboot my PC again. Once I start gaming again my temps will again sit at 75°C and work for a short while longer.

considering my graphics card has remained consistent throughout my upgrade, I’m certain that it won’t be the issue.

I'm not positive that it pertains to what's relevant, but AMD is much less open about access to certain sensors(?) than Intel is.  So the utilities that didn't present problems on your old platform are likely using less elegant methods to access the relevant info on your AMD system than they were on your Intel system.  Couple that with them polling the system simultaneously and it causes system issues.  

2 hours ago, patrickl96 said:

Short response.

Google it. 1080ti throttle points.

5 hours ago, Sir0Tek said:

@patrickl96

Did you check your case-temperature while gaming?

Yes, with plenty of airflow within my case I’ve never had issues with temps

6 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Short response.

Google it. 1080ti throttle points.

According to anandtech, a 1080ti will thermal throttle at 84°C

1 hour ago, patrickl96 said:

According to anandtech, a 1080ti will thermal throttle at 84°C

Well you must not have read fully through that link you found. I shall put it here for you. 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11180/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review/16

GeForce Video Card Average Clockspeeds
Game GTX 1080 Ti GTX 1080
Max Boost Clock
1898MHz
1898MHz
Tomb Raider
1620MHz
1721MHz
DiRT Rally
1721MHz
1771MHz
Ashes
1680MHz
1759MHz
Battlefield 4
1657MHz
1771MHz
Crysis 3
1632MHz
1759MHz
The Witcher 3
1645MHz
1759MHz
The Division
1645MHz
1721MHz
Grand Theft Auto V
1746MHz
1797MHz
Hitman
1657MHz
1771MHz

The second post in this thread explains exactly why the cards throttle before the TJ max you are talking about at 84c

https://forums.evga.com/thermal-throttling-Evga-1080ti-hybrid-m2745234.aspx

Just in case, I'll quote it here for easy pleasurable reading....

It's called GPU Boost 3.0. True throttling doesn't happen until the mid 80s or low 90s C, yet GPU boost 3.0 will lower clockspeeds before that to maintain Nvidia specs on power draw and temps.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/15 

EDIT: it's easy to know, because clockspeed drops of ~14 MHz are what happens when GPU Boost 3.0 hits the next threshold. 

And of course some reading right from out very own LINUSTECHTIPS forums.

Hopefully this helps, because I'm in belief this is what your issue is, however it's not an issue, it's how the cards work.

Mine boosts well past the stock p-state boost clocks that you'd see in GPU-Z. 

My card is actually stock 1365/1770 (boost) stock, and runs a much higher frequency most of the time if I keep it cool enough. 

So right now sitting about 65c 1920mhz core boosted clocks, but yet still much higher than stock turbo and lower than cooler temps which would have me at 2000mhz like yours.

So all in all, your system may not have any issues at all!!! It's just a misconception of what the cards do opposed to what people think the card should be doing.

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Well you must not have read fully through that link you found. I shall put it here for you. 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11180/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review/16

GeForce Video Card Average Clockspeeds
Game GTX 1080 Ti GTX 1080
Max Boost Clock
1898MHz
1898MHz
Tomb Raider
1620MHz
1721MHz
DiRT Rally
1721MHz
1771MHz
Ashes
1680MHz
1759MHz
Battlefield 4
1657MHz
1771MHz
Crysis 3
1632MHz
1759MHz
The Witcher 3
1645MHz
1759MHz
The Division
1645MHz
1721MHz
Grand Theft Auto V
1746MHz
1797MHz
Hitman
1657MHz
1771MHz

The second post in this thread explains exactly why the cards throttle before the TJ max you are talking about at 84c

https://forums.evga.com/thermal-throttling-Evga-1080ti-hybrid-m2745234.aspx

Just in case, I'll quote it here for easy pleasurable reading....

And of course some reading right from out very own LINUSTECHTIPS forums.

Hopefully this helps, because I'm in belief this is what your issue is, however it's not an issue, it's how the cards work.

Mine boosts well past the stock p-state boost clocks that you'd see in GPU-Z. 

My card is actually stock 1365/1770 (boost) stock, and runs a much higher frequency most of the time if I keep it cool enough. 

So right now sitting about 65c 1920mhz core boosted clocks, but yet still much higher than stock turbo and lower than cooler temps which would have me at 2000mhz like yours.

So all in all, your system may not have any issues at all!!! It's just a misconception of what the cards do opposed to what people think the card should be doing.

I appreciate the amount of research on this you’ve done, but through my testing I can’t see the GPU temps being the problem.

Heres what exactly happens; I fire up Call of duty modern warfare and the temps get up to 75°C within 5-10 mins and they sit there. My clock speed will fluctuate but my framerates are still consistently hitting 120-160fps. After about 30mins-1hr my fps will drop to 55-60fps and won’t ever go back up. I’ll then exit out of the game and let my GPU cool back down to idle temps for a while. Even when I open the same game back up again, the fps will refuse to go beyond 60fps even though my GPU temps will initially be at idle (40-50°C) and my clock speed will be 2000MHz (give or take).

If it were thermal throttling I’d expect my fps to be fine again once I’ve given it a few minutes to cool back down when I boot up my game again, but it’ll remain low indefinitely, unless if I reboot my entire PC.

Also if it were thermal throttling, I would have seen this happening even before I upgraded my CPU, mobo & RAM. I’ve had this 1080Ti for over a year now and the temps have never given me any issues.

47 minutes ago, patrickl96 said:

I appreciate the amount of research on this you’ve done, but through my testing I can’t see the GPU temps being the problem.

Heres what exactly happens; I fire up Call of duty modern warfare and the temps get up to 75°C within 5-10 mins and they sit there. My clock speed will fluctuate but my framerates are still consistently hitting 120-160fps. After about 30mins-1hr my fps will drop to 55-60fps and won’t ever go back up. I’ll then exit out of the game and let my GPU cool back down to idle temps for a while. Even when I open the same game back up again, the fps will refuse to go beyond 60fps even though my GPU temps will initially be at idle (40-50°C) and my clock speed will be 2000MHz (give or take).

If it were thermal throttling I’d expect my fps to be fine again once I’ve given it a few minutes to cool back down when I boot up my game again, but it’ll remain low indefinitely, unless if I reboot my entire PC.

Also if it were thermal throttling, I would have seen this happening even before I upgraded my CPU, mobo & RAM. I’ve had this 1080Ti for over a year now and the temps have never given me any issues.

That information would have been useful at the original post......

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

That information would have been useful at the original post......

Sorry man, I didn’t want to write an entire novel of a post to begin with

Just now, patrickl96 said:

Sorry man, I didn’t want to write an entire novel of a post to begin with

Well it started out as XMP issue, or so had thought. But it's an FPS issue. 

The one whom suggested looking at your software for conflicts may be onto something if you Feel the GPU is operating as it should.

I'm not there to watch a second monitor to see what the GPU does in game. I don't know if it throttled to a p-state and got stuck there. It's possible, but I don't have a real answer to your issue at this time.

3 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Well it started out as XMP issue, or so had thought. But it's an FPS issue. 

The one whom suggested looking at your software for conflicts may be onto something if you Feel the GPU is operating as it should.

I'm not there to watch a second monitor to see what the GPU does in game. I don't know if it throttled to a p-state and got stuck there. It's possible, but I don't have a real answer to your issue at this time.

Yeah I’ve slowly been ruling out my possibilities as I go along but it’s a cumbersome process. I’ve since found that my RAM is probably fine as I tried other RAM sticks (2x4GB) and these didn’t change anything.

I have also since tried what one of the other users suggested by shutting down all background programs. This also made no difference.

I’m beginning to think that maybe my CPU May be the issue, but I’ll do some further testing on the Ryzen 5 2400G and see how that performs in my system.

I suppose the problems I’m having isn’t something anyone here has experienced before.