Ryzen 7 3700X & Corsair RAM compatibility issues?

Recently I've upgraded my system from an Intel i7-4790 (older motherboard & DDR3 RAM as well). I've since upgraded to an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, which means I've had to upgrade to a new motherboard and DDR4 RAM. During this upgrade I have also done a clean install of Windows.

Since upgrading my PC, I've been having issues with framerates in games practically halving after a period of time while gaming (usually 30 minutes in, sometimes up to 3 hours in). Right now I have the feeling that my RAM might be the source of my problems. I'm currently using Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB sticks & testing on Call of Duty Modern Warfare & Grand Theft Auto V.

From my troubleshooting so far, I've attempted gaming with and without D.O.C.P. enabled (I understand this is AMD's equivalent of XMP) & changing which DIMM slots my RAM are occupying, however this still makes no difference. 

I have found that if I take out one of the RAM sticks and just use 1x16GB (running at stock speeds), my system is a lot more stable and doesn't have any noticable issues and at the moment this is my only way of gaming without having weird errors.

I'm trying to figure out of it's possible my motherboard could be incompatible with my RAM (whether if 32GB is too much for it to handle, or if it's simply faulty, or if it's another issue that I haven't considered?)

I’ve ran memtest86 on both sticks of RAM installed for 3 hours and the test encountered 0 errors.

Here's the specs:

* Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming
* RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32GB (2x16GB) - CMW32GX4M2C3200C16
* CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
* GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition
* PSU: Corsair RM650

And just a final note to add - all my graphics drivers are up to date, BIOS has been flashed to the latest version, Windows doesn't have any further updates at this point.

Even if it's just getting 2 sticks working reliably at stock speed of 2333MHz, what can I do to get my RAM working as it should?

Hello and welcome.

Into which slots did you install your RAM?

Also, did you install any motherboard utilities?  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

I'm going to guess there are some driver issues from the old board.

ryzen does like fast ram.

could be a bad memory sitck. memtest may tell you that

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

3 minutes ago, nick name said:

Hello and welcome.

Into which slots did you install your RAM?

Also, did you install any motherboard utilities?  

I installed them into slots 2 & 4, as per the motherboard instructions. I did also try slots 1 & 3 but it makes no difference

5 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

I'm going to guess there are some driver issues from the old board.

ryzen does like fast ram.

could be a bad memory sitck. memtest may tell you that

I did a memtest for 3 hours and it had no errors

why would there be driver issues from the old board if I’ve done a clean windows install?

2 minutes ago, patrickl96 said:

I did a memtest for 3 hours and it had no errors

why would there be driver issues from the old board if I’ve done a clean windows install?

okay,

I missed that.

I'd reach out to AMD and say your chip is having memory issues. don't mention XMP or anything about OC ram.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

4 minutes ago, patrickl96 said:

I installed them into slots 2 & 4, as per the motherboard instructions. I did also try slots 1 & 3 but it makes no difference

Set memory at a lower speed while DOCP is enabled. 

Run them at 2666mhz

Manually set the mem votlage to 1.410

Slots 2 and 4 occupied.

Increase SOC voltage to 1.1000v

Restart. Check stability. If good increase memory frequency.

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Set memory at a lower speed while DOCP is enabled. 

Run them at 2666mhz

Manually set the mem votlage to 1.410

Slots 2 and 4 occupied.

Increase SOC voltage to 1.1000v

Restart. Check stability. If good increase memory frequency.

My issue currently is even with DOCP left as being disabled I’m running into issues (so by default it only runs at 2133MHz)

Another thought I’ve had, the RAM I’m using isn’t on the motherboard QVL list. Because it hasn’t been guaranteed compatible, is it likely that the RAM simply can’t be used properly with my motherboard?

9 hours ago, patrickl96 said:

How about any motherboard utilities?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

8 hours ago, nick name said:

How about any motherboard utilities?

Yeah, I’ve installed all of those as well

5 minutes ago, patrickl96 said:

I re-read your original post like a billion times to make sense of the issue with your frame rates.

Willing to believe it's a warm GPU issue, the more I read into your wording in the details that you have issues with, mainly = frame rates. 

What is that 1080 running with temps while dead set in game and when you notice the lower frame rates???

12 minutes ago, patrickl96 said:

Therein might lie your culprit.  Which ones specifically?

Oh and have you tried adding a little more DRAM voltage?  Like 1.37V?  This is after enabling DOCP.  

3 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I re-read your original post like a billion times to make sense of the issue with your frame rates.

Willing to believe it's a warm GPU issue, the more I read into your wording in the details that you have issues with, mainly = frame rates. 

What is that 1080 running with temps while dead set in game and when you notice the lower frame rates???

I’m typically noticing issues while gaming on Call of Duty Modern Warfare. If I’m running both sticks of RAM my frame rates will eventually drop from 150-160 down to 55-60. If I restart my entire PC and boot up the game again it’ll work okay for another 20-30 minutes before doing the same thing again. As for temps the GPU runs typically between 70-75°C.

From what I’ve tested so far I believe I have a faulty RAM stick as I’ve switched to the ‘second’ RAM stick as the only one being installed and that gives me issues, but changing back to the ‘first’ RAM stick those issues don’t appear to occur (or at least not as soon)

4 hours ago, nick name said:

Oh and have you tried adding a little more DRAM voltage?  Like 1.37V?  This is after enabling DOCP.  

My issues are happening before enabling DOCP or any kind of “overclock”.

1 minute ago, patrickl96 said:

My issues are happening before enabling DOCP or any kind of “overclock”.

Ok then let's hear what utilities you have installed.  

3 minutes ago, nick name said:

Ok then let's hear what utilities you have installed.  

So from ASUS’ website I’ve downloaded; BIOS latest firmware, audio drivers, LAN drivers & chipset drivers.

Just now, patrickl96 said:

So from ASUS’ website I’ve downloaded; BIOS latest firmware, audio drivers, LAN drivers & chipset drivers.

Ok so nothing like ASUS Suite?  How about anything from Corsair to monitor anything?  

15 minutes ago, patrickl96 said:

From what I’ve tested so far I believe I have a faulty RAM stick as I’ve switched to the ‘second’ RAM stick as the only one being installed and that gives me issues, but changing back to the ‘first’ RAM stick those issues don’t appear to occur (or at least not as soon)

In this case I'd RMA the RAM stick in question and see if the issues are gone with a replacement.

There is no replacement for RGB except more RGB ?

6 minutes ago, nick name said:

Ok so nothing like ASUS Suite?  How about anything from Corsair to monitor anything?  

No I don’t have ASUS Suite. All my other software I have used in the past on my previous build is all the same so I don’t consider that to be a problem, although I understand that I could be wrong.

Main programs I have running in the background are Corsair iCue, NZXT CAM, MSI Afterburner, Gigabyte Aorus (VGA tool or whatever it is for managing the clock speed/RGB for the GPU- it might also be called RGBFusion) but these are all programs I’ve used previously.

C'mon man.  Those are all utilities.  I'm 99% sure some or all of those are conflicting and what is causing your problem.  

2 minutes ago, oeci said:

In this case I'd RMA the RAM stick in question and see if the issues are gone with a replacement.

I’ll give that a go. Would you also think I’d be getting average/below-average performance when running the “good” stick as it’s running single channel?

If given the option, would it be best to replace it with a different brand (I’ve been looking at G.Skill and apparently they’re more compatible for Ryzen systems)?

2 minutes ago, nick name said:

C'mon man.  Those are all utilities.  I'm 99% sure some or all of those are conflicting and what is causing your problem.  

I didn’t understand your question initially, my bad. I have tried running my system with a few of these turned off (so just exited the application after booting the system) but I hadn’t noticed any changes.

Do you think using ASUS suite is worthwhile as well?

Just now, patrickl96 said:

I didn’t understand your question initially, my bad. I have tried running my system with a few of these turned off (so just exited the application after booting the system) but I hadn’t noticed any changes.

Turn them all off.  Run without them and see what happens.  I'm assuming you have a NZXT cooler?

I don't think this is a RAM problem.  You seem to have done a thorough job of testing it.