New Build (first ever PC)

Hey guys! I am new here, and am interested in getting into world of actual computers. I've had a macbook pro for the longest time, and I'm looking to get into the realm of desktops. I need it for Editing, Streaming for Math tutoring, Cubase, and some pretty low demand games (Warthunder, EVE online). I've been looking to get something that will be able to comfortably handle this, for a decent cost, and I'm not sure where to start. Anything will seem like an upgrade for me at this point, but I want to start fresh and have something that will last, and is upgradable for the future. 

I've only just started researching, so any tips on parts would be greatly appreciated. I want to get my build done at least by the summer so I can get some use out of it for next semester. 

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, classicmuse said:

I've only just started researching, so any tips on parts would be greatly appreciated. I want to get my build done at least by the summer so I can get some use out of it for next semester. 

might be some pretty fresh parts by the time you build, you should hold out on parts list deciding just yet.

as for research, use pcpartpicker.com for pricing

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Are there new parts being released soon? I dont know much about the tech market

9 minutes ago, classicmuse said:

I would recommend going for AMD on the AM4 socket. Something like a B450 motherboard, Ryzen 5 1600 AF, 16GB ram and a GTX 1650 super would probably be perfect for something like what you are wanting all for ~ $600-$800

So I'm trying at the moment to figure out how RAM works... the hertz reading is how quickly the data can be transferred from the storage? So the quicker the reading the quicker the data transfer, no matter what the capacity of the RAM is... does that sound right?

3 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

as for research, use pcpartpicker.com for pricing

This is what I put together using that website... very helpful btw, thanks for that. Is there anything on this that looks wrong or dumb to you guys? Or even overkill/not enough for what I specified above...

That was a very good first try. I've made some tweaks, mainly to save you some money.

The cpu comes with an included cooler, you don't need to add a new one unless you want to overclock, in which case you need something bigger than what you picked anyway.

You picked the right ram

The motherboard you picked is good, this one is slightly better and cheaper.

Cheaper ssd, as samsung is overpriced.

Similar performance gpu, but cheaper.

Better quality psu

Micro atx case for the micro atx board.

If you're a student , you can get windows for free.

Slightly bigger IPS monitor

8 hours ago, boggy77 said:

Better quality psu

Yes my friend was saying the same thing to me... Thanks for the feedback! Do you necessarily need a matching motherboard and case? The case does look alright, but I don't want this to look like a blingy RGB gaming thing.

I am a student at the moment, so I'll check that out. Thanks for letting me know. 

41 minutes ago, classicmuse said:

Yes my friend was saying the same thing to me... Thanks for the feedback! Do you necessarily need a matching motherboard and case? The case does look alright, but I don't want this to look like a blingy RGB gaming thing.

I am a student at the moment, so I'll check that out. Thanks for letting me know. 

no, just ATX cases are very large. if you get a mATX motherboard, might as well go with a mATX case. the ones without side windows are even cheaper.

On 3/8/2020 at 3:32 AM, classicmuse said:

Maybe.  There have been no formal announcements, but Intel hasn't released new CPU's for a while.  

Supposedly NVIDIA and AMD will be introducing new GPU's, but there's just not enough evidence to support it.  

I'd stay away from mATX cases.  There just isn't as many mATX motherboards to chose from.  I bought two mATX cases and had the hardest time finding motherboards with the features I wanted at a price I was willing to pay.  

Also I think you did a good job choosing a powersupply.  boggy77 prefers powersupplies right at the requirement of your present components while I prefer to spend $30 - $40 more getting a power supply that isn't stressed by the components and is fully modular. 

17 hours ago, classicmuse said:

The case does look alright, but I don't want this to look like a blingy RGB gaming thing

Cases are very subjective. I'd look around and find one you liked then picked a matching motherboard form factor. 

On 3/8/2020 at 11:11 AM, classicmuse said:

On 3/8/2020 at 3:43 PM, boggy77 said:

This is what I have come up with in my first try....

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($174.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN TUF Gaming Allian 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($67.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ B&H) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 5700 8 GB MECH OC Video Card  ($293.98 @ Newegg) Probably not the best cooled 5700 out there. But it performs pretty well after the fix.
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($44.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($71.98 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: AOC C24G1 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor  ($144.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $978.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-09 14:31 EDT-0400

Windows keys can be had for a few bucks from sites like eBay, kinguin, scdkeys, etc.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

Thanks a bunch for all the help. I'll get shopping and I'll post the setup once I've finished it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Do I need to be connected by ethernet to get my system to display? If i have everything else connected except ethernet cable, and the display has no signal, did something go wrong?

Ethernet is for WiFi. It is not related to any problems during the building process. If I am understanding your question correctly, it doesn’t matter if ethernet is conected.

Quote me or mention me at @Shrekpad so I get notified 
pc specs:
CPU: 
Intel i7 8700K MOBO: ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming RAM: 16GB (2x8) DDR4 G Skill TridentZ 3000 MHz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING OC CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv STORAGE: Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 NVME SSD,
T-Force Delta RGB 250GB SSD, 4TB Seagate Barracuda HDD PSU: 750 Watt EVGA SuperNova G3 MONITERDell S2716DGR 1440p 144hz G-Sync, BenQ PD2700U 4K 60hz CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum OS: Windows 10

Right now I'm getting the boot light but there's no signal being sent to my monitor.... does anyone know what that could be?