Undervolting and Turbo Boost

Does Undervolting limit Turbo Boost capabilities? 

I know it helps with thermal headroom and allows it to boost better and longer. But what Im wondering is will undervolting cause a power limit

It feels like such a dumb question but a simple google seach has just been giving me unrelevant information or just really vague answers that dont really answer my question. 

No, it improves them.

The less voltage the chip is using the less heat the chip creates for the same clock speeds.

The boost stays on till it hits a temperature threshold and then throttles back (thermal throttling) so the less heat the chip gives off the longer you can stay at your boost speeds.

You're trying to offset the voltage until it becomes unstable and then easing back until it becomes stable again.

I'm an IT System Admin with 15+ years worth of XP, plus I've been tinkering computers since I was old enough to hold a screwdriver, so I usually know what I'm talking about.

If that helped with cooling enough, it should turbo up higher. If it's unstable with high clocks, then it could limit turbo. If you're previously power throttling, then undervolting helps with turbo. If you're already hitting the turbo limit, then it wont help with turbo even though power draw does go down.

You can at least start by mentioning the CPU architecture, so it's not as vague.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

2 minutes ago, ObsidianAura said:

No, it improves them.

The less volts the chip is using the less heat the chip creates for the same clock speeds.

The boost stays on till it hits a temperature threshold and then throttles back (thermal throttling) so the less heat the chip gives off the longer you can stay at your boost speeds.

You're trying to offset the voltage until it becomes unstable and then easing back until it becomes stable again.

I know about thermal throttling, which of couse unervolting helps. I probably should have been more specific, I mean does it limit tutbo boosting from creating a power limit 

4 minutes ago, Ndwolfy780 said:

I know about thermal throttling, which of couse unervolting helps. I probably should have been more specific, I mean does it limit tutbo boosting from creating a power limit 

The CPU should always try and reach its maximum turbo limit temperature permitting. Undervoting the CPU will no stop the CPU trying to reach its maximum turbo speed, it will just mean that it crashes if the voltage is insufficient. That is what we would call an unstable undervolt. The only way to find the right level is to keep dropping down and stress testing until it falls over, then work your way back to stability 

I'm an IT System Admin with 15+ years worth of XP, plus I've been tinkering computers since I was old enough to hold a screwdriver, so I usually know what I'm talking about.

1 minute ago, ObsidianAura said:

The CPU should always try and reach its maximum turbo limit temperature permitting. Undervoting the CPU will no stop the CPU trying to reach its maximum turbo speed, it will just mean that it crashes if the voltage is insufficient. That is what we would call unstable.

Ahhhh okay that answers my question thank you. So it wont limit its turbo speed itll just flat out crash gottcha. Thanks!