Can't Figure Out What To Rent - Virtual Machine server

Hey there. I've been looking around and I am trying to figure out where to look if i wanted to rent a server out to host 2-5 Virtual Machines. I can't find what I am looking for, no matter what I search for. Also trying to figure out if it would be better to just staright up buy one myself, and if so what would you guys recomend?

Thanks!

- Dakka

What are you looking to run in the VMs? Most home users would just look to host them at home on their own server if the application allows it.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

What are you looking to run in the VMs? Most home users would just look to host them at home on their own server if the application allows it.

Looking to run Unity and other programs related to game dev. Also if there is spare resources a small game server (Factorio)

7 minutes ago, Dakka, Man said:

Looking to run Unity and other programs related to game dev. Also if there is spare resources a small game server (Factorio)

Do you have a decent ISP up/down plan? Does your ISP connection allow Port Forwarding?

Just now, Windows7ge said:

Do you have a decent ISP up/down plan? Does your ISP connection allow Port Forwarding?

Depends on your definition of decent. I am looking at maybe running an ethernet port up from the router into a switch in my room. That would improve it. Currently have this internet speed. And it does allow port forwarding.

3 minutes ago, Dakka, Man said:

Depends on your definition of decent. I am looking at maybe running an ethernet port up from the router into a switch in my room. That would improve it. Currently have this internet speed. And it does allow port forwarding.

I would call that decent. I'd just host the server yourself. It gives you significantly more control over what hardware/software is used and gives you the freedom to upgrade/expand when you want to. There's a lot of 2nd hand equipment you can grab online for cheap if you're on a budget.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

There's a lot of 2nd hand equipment you can grab online for cheap if you're on a budget.

Could you give any pointers as to what i would be looking for?

Just now, Dakka, Man said:

Could you give any pointers as to what i would be looking for?

eBay has a lot of options for retired barebone supermicro servers. Which one would be best for your depends on how much expansion you need:

1. How resource demanding is your Unity work?
    1. CPU?
    2. RAM?
    3. GPU?
    4. Storage?
  2. How many PCI_e devices do you think you'd need to install?
  3. How many HDDs?
  4. What is the maximum number of users you think the server will experience at one time?

How would i go about measuring around how much resources one person would take up?