ASUS Strix 2080 TI - Black Screen Blinking/Flickering Black During Stress Test or Gaming - possible PSU issue?

So a couple of weeks ago, I bought myself a new ASUS Strix 2080TI. I was upgrading from a 1080TI.
I uninstall display drivers using DDU, shut down the system, replace the card, boot up and install new driver.

I then run a stress test *no overclocking at this time* and notice the screen flickering on the bottom half, and then when the actual test begins, I get intermittent black screen blinking. Seems much worse when running stress test vs running a game. 
Note that I had ZERO issues like this whilst using the 1080TI for the last 2 years. 
So I try everything, different monitor, 3 different DP cables, using the other ports, switching to HDMI... all the same result. 
At this time, I give up and RMA the card. 
ASUS replaces the card with a new one, and I received that today. 
I plug in the new card, and bam... same issue. Now I'm confused and wondering what else it could be, as I did not have the issue with the 1080ti, so the GPU is the only thing that has changed.
So after some thinking, I think to myself, maybe there is too much power draw? I have an EVGA 650W 80+ bronze PSU that has been used for the last 3 years.
The only thing I can do at this time is turn off the overclock on my 7700K that was at 5.0ghz constant. 
After turning off the overclock on the CPU, and no overclock on the GPU, it seems to be stable now? I ran Superposition benchmark multiple times after turning off the CPU overclock and the problem no longer exists. 

My question to you all is, does this sound like my PSU is bad? Could the 12v rail be bad? Im not too savvy on power supply issues. 

Any insight is appreciated, I'm just trying to figure out this issue as its obv not just the GPU at this point.

32 minutes ago, StrategyWarrior said:

Can you upload a video of the flickering?

yeah give me a little bit, ill try. i can usually only recreate it consistently with a stress test, otherwise it happens randomly whilst gaming.

Ok so I reverted back to 5Ghz overclock on CPU to try and recreate the issue whilst doing superposition benchmark, and I can not get it to do it. It was happening earlier while gaming. Not sure how to get it to happen on demand so that I can film it, as it happens randomly whilst gaming. 

also side note: did NOT do this with a GTX 1070 I was borrowing while the card was RMA'd. So two different 2080ti's have been giving me this issue, but 1080ti and 1070 did not.

side side note: I ordered an EVGA 1000 watt gold certified PSU, and another vesa certified DP cable. Will try those as well.

Video.movhere is a video, only could get it to do it while playing. it does that black flicker/flash randomly while gaming, or if im doing anything else and a game is running in the background as shown here.

another note: plugging the cable in to the alternative DP port on the GPU makes the issue worse, and happen more frequently. This was the same on the original 2080ti.

Your PSU is enough to run the card and i dont think the 12V rail is the problem.

Do you have GSync enabled while having this issue?

6 minutes ago, StrategyWarrior said:

Your PSU is enough to run the card and i dont think the 12V rail is the problem.

Do you have GSync enabled while having this issue?

no. no gsync or freesync. underclocked the CPU to 4.2, problem persists but is less frequent. 

Just now, StrategyWarrior said:

Ok i see, is your bios updated?

I was literally just thinking this. I have never updated the mobo bios in 3 years. Could be a compatibility issue? Ill try that next.

Just now, Magoichiguns said:

I was literally just thinking this. I have never updated the mobo bios in 3 years. Could be a compatibility issue? Ill try that next.

It could be, also 3 years without update is a lot.

Bios can fix compatibility issues with newer hardware.

Also i suggest to do a CMOS reset to be sure.

And also... after that you can download your mobo drivers, this can also fix compatibility issues.

1 minute ago, StrategyWarrior said:

It could be, also 3 years without update is a lot.

Bios can fix compatibility issues with newer hardware.

Also i suggest to do a CMOS reset to be sure.

And also... after that you can download your mobo drivers, this can also fix compatibility issues.

Ok, will give these a shot and report back.

1 minute ago, Magoichiguns said:

Ok, will give these a shot and report back.

Good, i will get some sleep now.

Will check the forums when i wake up ;)

11 minutes ago, StrategyWarrior said:

Good, i will get some sleep now.

Will check the forums when i wake up ;)

So the bios I apprently updated back in 2018, and that is still the current version. No update needed there. 
Mobo drivers on the ASUS site come up as mostly bios + utility software and whatnot, nothing blatantly "drivers". 
Seems these are not the issue.

mobo is ASUS Strix Z270e

2 hours ago, Magoichiguns said:

So the bios I apprently updated back in 2018, and that is still the current version. No update needed there. 
Mobo drivers on the ASUS site come up as mostly bios + utility software and whatnot, nothing blatantly "drivers". 
Seems these are not the issue.

mobo is ASUS Strix Z270e

Indeed, and iam talking about the chipset drivers. Those are for the CPU, but it seems that the latest update is from 2017.

Btw i have some flickering too sometimes, i recorded a video. This happens almost always with minecraft when i push the windows butto and very sometimes during loading screens in games.

A video below:

Do you have it too? If so maybe its a windows issue.

10 hours ago, StrategyWarrior said:

Indeed, and iam talking about the chipset drivers. Those are for the CPU, but it seems that the latest update is from 2017.

Btw i have some flickering too sometimes, i recorded a video. This happens almost always with minecraft when i push the windows butto and very sometimes during loading screens in games.

A video below:

Do you have it too? If so maybe its a windows issue.

No, I wish I could get a recording of it, but its so random. The image also flickers, like lines across almost like extreme "tearing". And then also the black screen for 1-2 seconds. Im stumped at this point, new DP Cord comes in today, but Ive already tried 3 other cords before with no success... new power supply comes in tomorrow and I'm hoping that solves it, though im weary about that. 
Any other ideas? lol

The strangest thing is that it did not give me ANY  issues like this whilst using my 1080ti, and then no issues the whole time I was using the 1070 while the original 2080ti was in RMA. It ONLY happens with 2080ti. 

another thing to note  -  just got the vesa certified DP cable in, tried it out, and it was WAYYYY worse, immidiatly started with the "tearing" and then black screen. No "no connection" popped on the monitor, just black. Every DP cable I try other than the original cable I was using seems to have this effect, the original cable only does it minimally like I originally stated. 

update: using only my second monitor, a 1080p 60z, seems to get rid of the issue. So its just some kind of incompatibility with the 2080ti and my 1440p 144hz? Already tried using 4 different DP cables, no luck, different ports on the card, no luck, and replacing the card through RMA did not resolve the issue. What could cause this?

• 2 months later...

I think we might have the same issue, what monitor are you using?

Is it by any chance an LG 27UK600?

On 3/1/2020 at 12:48 AM, Magoichiguns said:

update: using only my second monitor, a 1080p 60z, seems to get rid of the issue. So its just some kind of incompatibility with the 2080ti and my 1440p 144hz? Already tried using 4 different DP cables, no luck, different ports on the card, no luck, and replacing the card through RMA did not resolve the issue. What could cause this?

Have you tried another RTX gpu?

Current PC (Second Build) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (OC @3.8GHz, sometimes pushed to 4GHz) RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-2666 (OC @2733Mhz, sometimes pushed to 2800 for testing purposes)   GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX570 8gb MOBO: ASRock B450m Pro4 SSD: Inland 120gb HDD: 1tb Seagate Barracuda PSU: Cooler Master Masterwatt 500w Lite Case: NZXT H500 OS: Arch Linux+ KDE Plasma [Desktop Environment] & Windows 10 Pro [Broken due to grub 50% of the time]

Accessories: Mouse: Alienware AW958 Elite Keyboard: Corsair K63 Wireless  Headphones: Samsung Level On Pro

Phone (waiting on arrival): Samsung Galaxy Note 9

my first imidiate thought was gpu and monitor connection issue.. I see you tried another monitor - fixed it.. and  vesa certified dp cable made it worse.. last resort, try a HDMI cable with the monitor you experience issue with. It might defo be your monitor is at fault here. And last but not least, try checking out your display settings at resolution settings in windows control panel and set to different HZ modes. Try setting from 144 to 1 option lower. If still same issue, continue with this and set 1 option lower each time. Tell us your results :)

btw is the monitor firmware upgradable? 

One last thing... Try pulling out all cords and connections from the monitor. Even the power cord.. Now push the monitor power on button for 10-20 seconds and then release. Plug power cord back in, connect DP cable. Try using with 144 hz and see if the issue persists.. Why you might ask? Who knows.. maby an electrical jam in the monitor components. Doing this reliefs the electrical load in the hardware.