installing android tv on a thin client

Negitiveonegaming

hi all, I'm looking to kinda DIY a android tv box with a thin client. I have a hp t510 in my cart and ready to go but I've been looking for android tv specific isos and having no luck. would it be it's own iso or would I look for the gapps suit after. thanks for the replies in advance I'm at work so I'm sorry if I'm slow to reply.

Edited by Negitiveonegaming
grammar

Like the actual Android TV operating system? I looked into the x86 project awhile back because I have a couple SFF PCs lying around and it doesn't seem to have gone anywhere in over 3 years. Most of the features don't end up working, and being able to add all the apps that you'd want is probably impossible. 

You're better off with a Mi Box or Mi Box S. I got two 3rd gen Mi Boxes and bought a cheap Westinghouse with Android TV and they're super useful, even in Canada. You'll have even more options in the US.

1 hour ago, divito said:

Like the actual Android TV operating system? I looked into the x86 project awhile back because I have a couple SFF PCs lying around and it doesn't seem to have gone anywhere in over 3 years. Most of the features don't end up working, and being able to add all the apps that you'd want is probably impossible. 

You're better off with a Mi Box or Mi Box S. I got two 3rd gen Mi Boxes and bought a cheap Westinghouse with Android TV and they're super useful, even in Canada. You'll have even more options in the US.

well I'm looking to use it as as a media box I figured android would be the easiest. main things I want it to do is stream hulu and work as a steam link, basic emulation would be nice as well. I wanted a thin client because the networking chips in them are always the best,( for the steam link) my next thought was to look at linux distros. hopefully something remote friendly

3 minutes ago, Negitiveonegaming said:

well I'm looking to use it as as a media box I figured android would be the easiest. main things I want it to do is stream hulu and work as a steam link, basic emulation would be nice as well. I wanted a thin client because the networking chips in them are always the best,( for the steam link) my next thought was to look at linux distros. hopefully something remote friendly

I don't disagree with you there. An Android TV box is the most feature-rich and simple way to get all your content around the house. I've done HTPCs and everything else in the past, but it was never as seamless, especially around remotes and x86 interfaces and such. I kind of missed Windows Media Center actually. But Android TV is the best all-around solution I've seen.

Android TV (in the US) has retroarch, Hulu, Steam Link, and anything else you'd probably want. And with a Mi Box, you can add ethernet via an adapter if you're not trusting of your WiFi, and utilize Bluetooth controllers for your emulation. 

2 minutes ago, divito said:

I don't disagree with you there. An Android TV box is the most feature-rich and simple way to get all your content around the house. I've done HTPCs and everything else in the past, but it was never as seamless, especially around remotes and x86 interfaces and such. I kind of missed Windows Media Center actually. But Android TV is the best all-around solution I've seen.

Android TV (in the US) has retroarch, Hulu, Steam Link, and anything else you'd probably want. And with a Mi Box, you can add ethernet via an adapter if you're not trusting of your WiFi, and utilize Bluetooth controllers for your emulation. 

if I dont get any other answers that will be the way I'll go. thank you