Thermal paste us by date?

Necron1050
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

If it's still cream/paste, meaning not powder or really dried out, it should be fine.

Over long time, the alcohol or liquids inside syringe can be absorbed the plastic of the syringe and the paste can become less fluid... but the original sealed syringe should suffer much less than a previously opened one.

Other concerns ... over time the contents may separate inside but a small syringe doesn't have enough volume and weight for that to happen or to be an issue. If you're paranoid, you may mix the drops of paste you put on the cpu with the tip of the syringe to get the paste homogenized (or whatever the word is).

So yeah, you should be fine to use that paste. I wouldn't worry that much about it.

Quick question does thermal paste go off

i have just dug some thermal paste out of my cupboard for a build a was wondering.

its in a sirige insides of a never oped sealed bag.

i bought it about 2.5-3 years ago, its bean in the cupboard ever since.

P.S. it is thermal grizzly Kryonaut.

thanks for any help given.

Bikes - Honda CBR 900RR (1993), MV Augsta F4 750 SPR (2003),  Kawasaki ZX25R (2021)

Main Rig - AMD Ryzen 5900x, Asus Tuf X570 , Zotac GTX1080ti, 32Gb Patriot Viper Steel, Samsung 970 Pro 250GB

A high quality thermal paste shouldn't go bad after only 3 years, so I'm quite certain that you can still use it just fine. 

I still have a 6 or so year old Arctic MX-4 tube as I always forget to buy some new thermal paste and I've last used it just a couple of days ago and performs perfectly fine.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

If it's still cream/paste, meaning not powder or really dried out, it should be fine.

Over long time, the alcohol or liquids inside syringe can be absorbed the plastic of the syringe and the paste can become less fluid... but the original sealed syringe should suffer much less than a previously opened one.

Other concerns ... over time the contents may separate inside but a small syringe doesn't have enough volume and weight for that to happen or to be an issue. If you're paranoid, you may mix the drops of paste you put on the cpu with the tip of the syringe to get the paste homogenized (or whatever the word is).

So yeah, you should be fine to use that paste. I wouldn't worry that much about it.

20 minutes ago, WaterBear said:

I would still eat it.

9 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

A high quality thermal paste shouldn't go bad after only 3 years, so I'm quite certain that you can still use it just fine. 

I still have a 6 or so year old Arctic MX-4 tube as I always forget to buy some new thermal paste and I've last used it just a couple of days ago and performs perfectly fine.

8 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Thanks all will be using it for my build,

there is a thread for the build log here.

Bikes - Honda CBR 900RR (1993), MV Augsta F4 750 SPR (2003),  Kawasaki ZX25R (2021)

Main Rig - AMD Ryzen 5900x, Asus Tuf X570 , Zotac GTX1080ti, 32Gb Patriot Viper Steel, Samsung 970 Pro 250GB

4 minutes ago, Necron1050 said:

Thanks all will be using it for my build,

there is a thread for the build log here.

Yeah good luck with that ( /sarcasm off )

You'll run out of resources (interrupts, memory regions reserved by each card, drivers will screw things up) and will run like shit because of the pci-e x1 bandwidth of each slot... not to mention a lot of those pci-e slots go to the chipset, which then connects to the cpu through a 4 GB/s link (equivalent of pci-e 3.0 x4)

Also 8 GB of memory will not be enough even if you get it working.

Buy a bunch of HD 5450 / HD 6450 cards, they're a few dollars each on eBay, and see if you can even get the computer working with 7 or 8 video cards... then spend money on more serious video cards if you know it will work.

ex

Lot of 5 - AMD Radeon Dell HD 6450 OEM 1 GB GDDR3 - Low Profile - GPU | eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-of-5-AMD-Radeon-HD-6450-1GB-GDDR3-PCIe-2-1-x16-LP-Graphics-Card-0WH7F/233431332516?

Lots 10 Dell AMD Radeon HD 5450 PCI-E x16 Video Graphics Card XF27T Full Profile | eBay

Lots 50 Dell AMD Radeon HD 5450 PCI-E x16 Video Graphics Card XF27T Full Profile | eBay

LOT OF 5 Radeon HD5450 Dual Monitor Support Video Graphic Card Dual VGA Low SFF | eBay

6 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Yeah good luck with that ( /sarcasm off )

You'll run out of resources (interrupts, memory regions reserved by each card, drivers will screw things up) and will run like shit because of the pci-e x1 bandwidth of each slot... not to mention a lot of those pci-e slots go to the chipset, which then connects to the cpu through a 4 GB/s link (equivalent of pci-e 3.0 x4)

Also 8 GB of memory will not be enough even if you get it working.

Buy a bunch of HD 5450 / HD 6450 cards, they're a few dollars each on eBay, and see if you can even get the computer working with 7 or 8 video cards... then spend money on more serious video cards if you know it will work.

ex

Lot of 5 - AMD Radeon Dell HD 6450 OEM 1 GB GDDR3 - Low Profile - GPU | eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-of-5-AMD-Radeon-HD-6450-1GB-GDDR3-PCIe-2-1-x16-LP-Graphics-Card-0WH7F/233431332516?

Lots 10 Dell AMD Radeon HD 5450 PCI-E x16 Video Graphics Card XF27T Full Profile | eBay

Lots 50 Dell AMD Radeon HD 5450 PCI-E x16 Video Graphics Card XF27T Full Profile | eBay

LOT OF 5 Radeon HD5450 Dual Monitor Support Video Graphic Card Dual VGA Low SFF | eBay

1. I fully expect it to run awful 

2. only 1 maybe 2 if i am lucky cards will every work for games unless i built custom software to do it.

3. what is it that you expect to need RAM to work (i am genuinely curious to know, so i can avoid too many failures)

4. the buy cheap cards thing was a good idea. but as it says on the thread i like collecting anyway so most i would buy even without a system to put them in. (althoe i will not be rushing out to buy a titan z or a r9 295x2 without knowing if it will work before hand.

5. thanks for the ebay links but as noted before i am UK based so shipping on thoes would kill the value.

6. finally thanks for the reply but i would have been better of that thread not this one.