GPU crashing help

So I bought a PC from my buddy a few months back, and its been fine up until a couple weeks ago. It keeps crashing when I play graphic intensive games now. I was running Witcher 3 just fine months ago with maybe one or two crashes to desktop, but now it's crashing on Battlefront 2, Far Cry 5, Metro: Exodus, but hasn't when I played stuff like Morrowind or WoW or Risk of Rain 2. 

I'm not sure what the term is to describe what happens when it crashes to desktop, but the screen looks all fractured, and it takes some time for it to show all the icons and return to normal. Moving the mouse around the screen tends to help it recover faster. With Metro, it'll just freeze during the game, but it'll do the facturing thing when I try to get to Task manager and close it out. 

I have noticed that the lights on the GPU max out a lot, and whenever it has crashed they've been at max. Often, they'll max out in the main menus of games, which I think is odd, and at least according to System Requirements lab, I should be able to run these games just fine with my current set up, but it's not working. I've set the power limit to +50%, as I saw that was supposed to fix some crashes, but it hasn't, and I'm not that comfortable enough to mess with anything else. I did reset the card to factory settings in case my friend had some weird settings, but it still crashed after a minute on Metro. I even lowered the in-game graphic settings to medium, and it's still crashing on me. 

Specs are:

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x

Radeon Rx Vega 64 Liquid cooled

750W PSU

16gbs DDR4

I did check to make sure the power cable isn't daisy chained from the GPU to the PSU, and it's not. Besides that, I'm not sure what else to check in order to fix this. Any help would be appreciated. 

4 minutes ago, Garcon said:

So I bought a PC from my buddy a few months back, and its been fine up until a couple weeks ago. It keeps crashing when I play graphic intensive games now. I was running Witcher 3 just fine months ago with maybe one or two crashes to desktop, but now it's crashing on Battlefront 2, Far Cry 5, Metro: Exodus, but hasn't when I played stuff like Morrowind or WoW or Risk of Rain 2. 

I'm not sure what the term is to describe what happens when it crashes to desktop, but the screen looks all fractured, and it takes some time for it to show all the icons and return to normal. Moving the mouse around the screen tends to help it recover faster. With Metro, it'll just freeze during the game, but it'll do the facturing thing when I try to get to Task manager and close it out. 

I have noticed that the lights on the GPU max out a lot, and whenever it has crashed they've been at max. Often, they'll max out in the main menus of games, which I think is odd, and at least according to System Requirements lab, I should be able to run these games just fine with my current set up, but it's not working. I've set the power limit to +50%, as I saw that was supposed to fix some crashes, but it hasn't, and I'm not that comfortable enough to mess with anything else. I did reset the card to factory settings in case my friend had some weird settings, but it still crashed after a minute on Metro. I even lowered the in-game graphic settings to medium, and it's still crashing on me. 

Specs are:

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x

Radeon Rx Vega 64 Liquid cooled

750W PSU

16gbs DDR4

I did check to make sure the power cable isn't daisy chained from the GPU to the PSU, and it's not. Besides that, I'm not sure what else to check in order to fix this. Any help would be appreciated. 

Is anything overclocked?

Tried DDU to kill all drivers and re-install the drivers? If not, google DDU, download that (display driver uninstaller), itll reboot you into safe mode to really kill the drivers, then re-install once it reboots to normal windows.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1 hour ago, LIGISTX said:

Is anything overclocked?

Tried DDU to kill all drivers and re-install the drivers? If not, google DDU, download that (display driver uninstaller), itll reboot you into safe mode to really kill the drivers, then re-install once it reboots to normal windows.

Nothing should be overclocked, I never messed with those settings, and I reset all the settings to the factory ones. 

I hadnt tried DDU (wasn't even aware of it, I'm relatively new to the PC scene) but I did go through that process, and it didn't fix the issue. It's odd, in Metro it'll just crash if I'm standing in place and facing a particular direction. I can run around, shoot, etc but some directions will just cause the GPU utilization percent to spike and then crash, even on medium settings.

4 minutes ago, Garcon said:

Nothing should be overclocked, I never messed with those settings, and I reset all the settings to the factory ones. 

I hadnt tried DDU (wasn't even aware of it, I'm relatively new to the PC scene) but I did go through that process, and it didn't fix the issue. It's odd, in Metro it'll just crash if I'm standing in place and facing a particular direction. I can run around, shoot, etc but some directions will just cause the GPU utilization percent to spike and then crash, even on medium settings.

Hmm, define GPU utilization spiking. GPU should always be at about 99-100% utilization... It will try and pump out as many frames as possible, thus running at 100% (assuming your CPU is fast enough to keep it fed with data), which your 1800x more or less should be.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

57 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Hmm, define GPU utilization spiking. GPU should always be at about 99-100% utilization... It will try and pump out as many frames as possible, thus running at 100% (assuming your CPU is fast enough to keep it fed with data), which your 1800x more or less should be.

So, on gpu all the little blue lights are on, and it gets louder, and it's always like that when the games crash. When I've turned on the metric tracking, playing Metro is typically around 60-70% utilization when it's working, but sometimes it'll get up to the 90's, and if it stays like that for 5 to 10 seconds (Or if all the blue lights on the GPU are on) the game crashes. Other games I've played like Morrowind or WoW don't get it near 100%, which is why I think getting it that high is the issue. Granted, I don't know a whole lot about this, so it could be something else entirely. I've just noticed it crashes when the utilization percentage is high.  

20 minutes ago, Garcon said:

So, on gpu all the little blue lights are on, and it gets louder, and it's always like that when the games crash. When I've turned on the metric tracking, playing Metro is typically around 60-70% utilization when it's working, but sometimes it'll get up to the 90's, and if it stays like that for 5 to 10 seconds (Or if all the blue lights on the GPU are on) the game crashes. Other games I've played like Morrowind or WoW don't get it near 100%, which is why I think getting it that high is the issue. Granted, I don't know a whole lot about this, so it could be something else entirely. I've just noticed it crashes when the utilization percentage is high.  

I don't know what the lights on the GPU are, but use something like MSI Afterburner to see what the GPU is doing. Have you tried any stress tests like Unigen Heaven or Vally? Or 3D mark? If it crashes when it gets to high load, its possible the card is bad, or your PSU is failing. See if you can replicate the issue in a benchmark/stress test since they are more repeatable.