The Steam Box

brownninja97

What you guys think about it? What sort of specs you think it would have when compared to PC components. Can it run Crysis?Can it run Minecraft?

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I would expect it to be able to play every game on 1080p at medium settings, otherwise it seems like you might as well get a console. It will probably have a new, yet to be released APU which is in crossfire with gpu seems like that would be the best performance for lowest TDP and price.

Well there hasn't been any kind of information on that, so there really isn't a way to say whether or not it can run any games. There is speculation that it will cost around $500-$700; in which case it is safe to say the specs will be capable of running Crysis. Minecraft, on the other hand, isn't a Steam game so I'm unsure as to how that will work. Assuming they will allow you to play non steam games, then yeah I wouldn't see it not running Minecraft.

I think it is a good idea, but I feel like it won't take off. The price point it will end up coming out at is around the price of a med range PC; and quite frankly building your own mid range PC would be far better than buying a steambox. I hope the consoles will adapt the idea of upgrading hardware in the future; but more than likely they won't because they want you to spend loads of cash on a new console every 5 years.

Well heres the big one can it get 30fps on minesweeper. Highest i got is 15fps.The gtx 690 got 16fps if im correct

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Well one of the piston prototypes boasts a 3770K with 2133mhz RAM, so for anyone who has that CPU, try your games using the iGPU and you'll have your answer. The official Steambox isn't 'done' and it's parts aren't verified, but there will be more than one available at different price points, so expect one with the top tier of Intel HD Graphics. Who knows, they might go Haswell.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I would really like to see Steam cut a deal with AMD and we could see a FX-8350 and a HD7870 or better. I think that would give a great bang for your buck factor. Seeing that AMD is already a Featured Partner, I could be a real possibility.

I'm excited. This could be the thing to get my friends into PC gaming. Actual PC hardware running software that your average person doesn't need to be taught how to use. Eventually they'll want a better experience and become PC-savvy people. At least that's my ideal world. Worse case scenario they buy one and love it because of cheap software.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

well if you think about it then by putting a fx8350 and a 7870 or better in then they would have serious underclocks due to how small it is. One 60mm fan is all that can fit in it. They are most likely created something themselves or using a gpu that could be used with passive cooling like the 7750. They could even have an external graphics card i have no idea

Listen if you care.

I remember seeing something on IGN that it was available for preorder and would be running for $1000. I found another article that I'll include the link to that denotes the same price point. Looking at the parts listed in the article, unless it has an absolutely sick graphics card (didn't see one listed), it seems like it's way overpriced. Granted this is apparently not the official Steambox, so I suppose that it could be cheaper. Regardless, while I suppose it could be cool, well, I already have a computer, and this seems like just a more expensive computer that can't do as much. But those are just my thoughts, I'm interested to see what it can do and how people like it when they get their hands on it.

Here's the link, I'm sure you could find other information too:

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gaming/consoles/first-steam-box-goes-up-for-pre-order-1136686

I remember seeing something on IGN that it was available for preorder and would be running for $1000. I found another article that I'll include the link to that denotes the same price point. Looking at the parts listed in the article, unless it has an absolutely sick graphics card (didn't see one listed), it seems like it's way overpriced. Granted this is apparently not the official Steambox, so I suppose that it could be cheaper. Regardless, while I suppose it could be cool, well, I already have a computer, and this seems like just a more expensive computer that can't do as much. But those are just my thoughts, I'm interested to see what it can do and how people like it when they get their hands on it.

Here's the link, I'm sure you could find other information too:

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gaming/consoles/first-steam-box-goes-up-for-pre-order-1136686

Steam has distanced themselves from Xi3 saying that they're not involved with the development of the Piston. It's overpriced imo considering that it costs $1K for a machine that you can build for yourself for around $400. You're simply paying for the tiny form factor.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

So what does Steam intend on pricing it at? And does anyone know what sort of form factor they're going to go with? I do think this will certainly be an interesting little machine.

So what does Steam intend on pricing it at? And does anyone know what sort of form factor they're going to go with? I do think this will certainly be an interesting little machine.

From what I've read/heard about the Steam Box, they want to do a tiered thing with hardware.

Good ---> Better ---> Best

So I'm guessing ranging from $99-$500 ish?

They said the lowest end would be affordable to nearly anyone.