Hp z440 mod no power

Fnfarha

Have a progect that I don't know what to do with 

I traded for a i7-6800k not realizing I needed a x99 Chipset so went on line and found a few blogs were they used a hp z440 motherboard even though it has a c612 chip set so I ordered it didn't realize it had a proprietary psu hook up but with so research and so passionce I moded my 1300 watt psu 20 pin motherboard connector to the motherboards 18 pin according to the diagrams I found and on the side in the 12 pin CPU memory power connector I placed an 8 pin and a 4 pin cpu connections put in my memory non ecc memory into slots 2 4 5 7 installed the cpu and my Vega 64 gpu and tried to boot but no sign of power double check the 18 pin connector with the multi meter and its correct 

Please help why wont I power up

-Moved to Troubleshooting-

C612 should still support a 6800K to my knowledge, there may have been no need for your PSU mod. Do you only have the motherboard? Some of those workstations will not boot no matter what if you're missing a fan, if you have the wrong memory installed, if you mess up a minor thing with power, etc.

Detailed pictures would be a large help in understanding exactly what's going on here. Unless I'm wrong: you traded some hardware for an i7-6800K, didn't have a motherboard with the LGA 2011-3 socket, bought an HP workstation board, modded your PSU to fit the HP board, at which point your system does not work?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

8 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

-Moved to Troubleshooting-

C612 should still support a 6800K to my knowledge, there may have been no need for your PSU mod. Do you only have the motherboard? Some of those workstations will not boot no matter what if you're missing a fan, if you have the wrong memory installed, if you mess up a minor thing with power, etc.

Detailed pictures would be a large help in understanding exactly what's going on here. Unless I'm wrong: you traded some hardware for an i7-6800K, didn't have a motherboard with the LGA 2011-3 socket, bought an HP workstation board, modded your PSU to fit the HP board, at which point your system does not work?

You understood correctly 

20200209_190711.jpg

20200209_190707.jpg

20200209_190920.jpg

20200209_190717.jpg

Just now, Fnfarha said:

You understood correctly 

20200209_190711.jpg

20200209_190707.jpg

20200209_190920.jpg

20200209_190717.jpg

20200209_190703.jpg

20200209_190703.jpg

20200209_190659.jpg

20200209_190652.jpg

4 hours ago, Fnfarha said:

I know it's a bit of a Frankenstein project 

@Crunchy Dragon any ideas 

In the first picture you posted showing the top half of the board, it doesn't look as if the 6 pin connector is plugged in.

I'm nowhere near any kind of electrical engineer, so I can't really follow the whole PSU mod adventure. Beyond that, I'd say the board is throwing a fit to due a lack of power, or something not being plugged in.

Also just a thought, the board you bought does in fact carry the LGA 2011-3 socket and has DDR4 memory slots, correct?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

• 11 months later...

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2304160-i-have-problem-with-the-power-supply-of-hp-z440?page=1#entry-9079800

Have you handled this case yet?
I'm also desperate for it
I need the schematic to handle it myself

Pls..

• 2 years later...

Sorry for reviving this thread from the forgotten tomb, but I don't want other people to be mislead.

Z440 PSU pinout is different from Z420! Same connector, different pinout.

Do not attempt to plug in a Z420 PSU into Z440 motherboard. Do not use the ATX to Z420 adapter on Z440 motherboard.

I tried, it didn't work, no smoke either.

Later, I found a working Z440 locally. Decided to give the old board a try. I plugged in the working Z440 PSU, the old board was fried. The new board works happily with the PSU, so the problem must be in the old board (and the Z420 PSU)

Good news is that only intergrated sound card is fried, rest parts still fine. 

The Z440 PSU is very cheap now, so don't bother with ATX PSU. If you have to, there are ATX to Z440 adapter available on eBay. 

I found this pinout online:

image.png.0d172bc5e8061dd71c3fb1d767fbc0b1.png

But I'm not convinced if it's correct. It doesn't match with the copper traces on the motherboard. Although, I'm not electrical engineer. Maybe this pinout is valid.