Hard and soft tubing in same build

Go to solution Solved by Neggy-Z,
8 hours ago, TheRealEaro said:

I was thinking of using tap water and then using some destilled water for one final flush

This is pretty much what i do for blocks, for rads i like to use hot water + white vinegar, cap off the ports and give them a good shake for a few minutes, you may need to repeat this a few times depending on how dirty your rads are.

The blitz cleaning kits aren't necessary for new parts.

I can't remember how long i had the fluid in the loop, it was probably closer to a year before flushing.

Hello, 

I'm currently working on my first custom loop. The case that will be housing the build is Thermaltake Core p7.

Initially the plan was to use rigid tubing for the whole build, but recently I thought of using soft tubing for the back. I've seen it done in a few builds, and since it won't be visible I don't really see any drawbacks.

Whichbrings me to my question:

Are there any downsides of using a mixture of soft and hard tubes. Will it require more frequent maintenance? Would you recommend it or should I stick to hard tubing for the back side as well?

I'd go for hard in the front, soft in the back. While PVC-softtubing doesn't hold up as long as acrylic hardtubing and needs to be changed more often, it's easier and cheaper to swap out. It also makes work on other parts of the cooling loop easier.

PC: Screw day theme users, I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CPU: R9 3900X @ 4.375GHz All Core MoBo: ASRock X470 Taichi RAM: 2x16GB Mushkin Redline @ 3200MHz 16-18-18-36 GPU: GTX 1080TI FE @ 2088MHz Cooling: Single 60x360mm rad w/ Scythe Kaze Flex, dual 45x540mm external rads passive, Nickel Plexi EKWB blocks, Alphacool VPP755V3 + Watercool Heatkiller Tube 250, Aquacomputer Quadro Case: Inter-Tech 4U 4129-N PSU: Corsair RM1000x Storage: 1TB Samsung 980 M2 SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda  Q1 SSD Network: Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G

NAS & Proxmox:

CPU:  Epyc 7302 MoBo: Supermicro H11SSL-i RAM:  8x32GB @ 2666MHz Samsung Registered ECC  Cooling: Enermax Liqtech TR4 II 360 w/ Corsair ML120 Case: InterTech 4F28 PSU: Seasonic Focus PX-650 Storage: 8x6TB HGST + 2x1TB WD Blue SN570 + 2x16GB Intel Optane SSDs Network: Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G

ML-Compute Server:

CPU:  i5 10600K MoBo: MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus RAM: 4x8GB HyperX Fury @ 2133MHz8 GPU: Gainward GTX 1080TI Golden Sample Cooling: Single 30 Case: RackMax 2U 8-Bay Storage Case Storage: 512GB Patriot P300 + 4x2TB Seagate Ironwolf NAS Network: Intel Quad 1G

Laptop: Acer Travelmate B117 (absolutely low power, but 12h battery life :D)

Phone: Oneplus Nord

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34UC79G + 27GL63T Keyboard: KBDFans 65Rev2 Mouse: Logitech G603 Mousepad: Cheap-ass GMB Mouspad Headphones: AKG K7XX  Other stuff: Novation Launchpad MK2, Aune T1 USB DAC/Amp, Behringer UMC202HD + Audio Technica AT2020 Condenser Mic

Cameras:

DSLR: Canon EOS 600D (Magic Lantern OS) Action Cam: GoPro Hero 3 Silver

Mountainbike:

Frame: Banshee Legend MKIII Fork: Marzocchi 380 C2R2 Titanium Rear shock: Rock Shox Vivid Air/Coil (switched depending on how I feel) Wheels: Spank Spike Race 33 Tires: Maxxis Minion DHR2/DHF Brakes: Magura MT5 Calipers with Shimano XT Levers Deraileur: Shimano Zee, Casette reduced to 6 Speed Crankset: Truvativ Descendant + 38T FSA Chainring Wheight: 16.4kg w/o pedals

On 2/8/2020 at 3:08 PM, TheRealEaro said:

Hello, 

I'm currently working on my first custom loop. The case that will be housing the build is Thermaltake Core p7.

Initially the plan was to use rigid tubing for the whole build, but recently I thought of using soft tubing for the back. I've seen it done in a few builds, and since it won't be visible I don't really see any drawbacks.

Whichbrings me to my question:

Are there any downsides of using a mixture of soft and hard tubes. Will it require more frequent maintenance? Would you recommend it or should I stick to hard tubing for the back side as well?

I don't see the point of hard tubing in the back, as you can't see it. And in my opinion it makes maintenance (and cable management) easier.

@fabafaba @xenic Yeah it seems like the logical decision, just wanted to hear from some more experienced builders (since it's my first custom loop). I already ordered a bunch of soft tube compression fittings for the back. 

Thanks for your input! :)

Since it's just soft tubing for the back, i take it there won't be lots of runs or much tubing used? If that's the case i would just buy a bunch of good quality tubing so you have heaps left over for replacements, it will easily last the life time of the fluid, assuming you are using some kind of premixed stuff from a quality manufacturer.

I didn't have any issues with EK's Duraclear tubing while combined with their Cryofuel coolants, in the past i used their navy blue coolant for 6-8 months and apart from slight blue staining on the tubes (well it stained everything really) it was still clear for the most part, no noticeable build up.

6 hours ago, Neggy-Z said:

Since it's just soft tubing for the back, i take it there won't be lots of runs or much tubing used? If that's the case i would just buy a bunch of good quality tubing so you have heaps left over for replacements, it will easily last the life time of the fluid, assuming you are using some kind of premixed stuff from a quality manufacturer.

I didn't have any issues with EK's Duraclear tubing while combined with their Cryofuel coolants, in the past i used their navy blue coolant for 6-8 months and apart from slight blue staining on the tubes (well it stained everything really) it was still clear for the most part, no noticeable build up.

Yeah it wouldn't be much. I got 3 meters so it should be plenty. 

I was also going to use Cryofuel (mostly because it's the only one I can find locally). I'm still not sure on the color... Initially I was going for yellow (even sleeved my pay cables in yellow and black), but now I'm thinking of azure blue or electric purple.. However I'm actually a bit scared of potential staining, so I might end up with EK's clear premix instead. It won't look as visually appealing as the colored alternatives but it might save me a lot of time and nerves in the long run.. 

Edit: pink is also an option... Colors are hard...

I personally prefer colored tubing over clear tubing.  The only issue I have found is trying to MATCH a colored tubing to a scheme is pretty hard as blacks may not be as black etc.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

7 hours ago, TheRealEaro said:

Yeah it wouldn't be much. I got 3 meters so it should be plenty. 

I was also going to use Cryofuel (mostly because it's the only one I can find locally). I'm still not sure on the color... Initially I was going for yellow (even sleeved my pay cables in yellow and black), but now I'm thinking of azure blue or electric purple.. However I'm actually a bit scared of potential staining, so I might end up with EK's clear premix instead. It won't look as visually appealing as the colored alternatives but it might save me a lot of time and nerves in the long run.. 

Edit: pink is also an option... Colors are hard...

I'm not sure how modern coolants go but red used to be the worst colour for staining, blues and greens were usually the least staining colours.

Here's what my blocks looks like after years of blue coolant use, the gpu block isn't bad except for that one dark spot you can see, the cpu block is a lot worse.

I don't have any of the old tubing so i can't show you that but it's also built up inside the radiator too.

One thing to note however is that most of this staining is from EKs older generation of coolant.

cpu block.jpg

gpu block.jpg

2 hours ago, Neggy-Z said:

I'm not sure how modern coolants go but red used to be the worst colour for staining, blues and greens were usually the least staining colours.

Here's what my blocks looks like after years of blue coolant use, the gpu block isn't bad except for that one dark spot you can see, the cpu block is a lot worse.

I don't have any of the old tubing so i can't show you that but it's also built up inside the radiator too.

One thing to note however is that most of this staining is from EKs older generation of coolant.

cpu block.jpg

gpu block.jpg

Doesn't look as bad as I expected. Do you change the fluid every 6 months (asking since I'll be using Cryofuel too)? 

Also do you have any tips for the initial flush of the components? I was thinking of using tap water and then using some destilled water for one final flush or should I go with destilled only? Maybe fill the loop with destilled and run it overnight and afterwards swap to Cryofuel? 

I know there's Mayhem's Blitz and supposedly it does a great job, but sadly it's unavailable locally and the shipping cost makes it hard for me to justify. 

I'm getting a little off-topic with those questions and I apologise, but it seems better than making a new topic.

8 hours ago, TheRealEaro said:

I was thinking of using tap water and then using some destilled water for one final flush

This is pretty much what i do for blocks, for rads i like to use hot water + white vinegar, cap off the ports and give them a good shake for a few minutes, you may need to repeat this a few times depending on how dirty your rads are.

I can't remember how long i had the fluid in the loop, it was probably closer to a year before flushing.

16 hours ago, Neggy-Z said:

Thanks man, you were really helpful! :)