ready to upgrade

i have been running my 4690k overclocked for a few years now with my 980ti but overclocks have started getting unstable and i know this cpu isnt really feeding the gpu as well as a newer one would. trying to keep the spending low and i dont think i plan on upgrading the gpu for awhile as i only game at 1080p. plus i have about 5 980tis (i repair shorted video cards) so no real reason to upgrade i dont think.

i have the Fatal1ty Gaming Z97 Killer motherboard but dont see a reason to stay on this chipset since its so outdated unless an i7 for it would really make a difference in gaming. would a ryzen 2700x be a better choice? should i work towards a 3700? 

i only game on this so thats all im worried about. 

Honestly for just gaming a ryzen 3600 would be fine (unless you have a real need for high frame rate gaming 144+) while also providing good overall performance and a good platform with modern features. Get some decent 3200mhz memory and call it a day

CPU: Intel i9 9900K Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z390-F RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3000MHz CL15 GPU: Gigabyte 1080Ti Windforce w/ AIO Liquid cooler Case: Fractal Design Define S Storage: 500GB Samsung 970 Evo NVME, 1TB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB SanDisk Ultra II, 2TB Samsung 860 QVO PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 Gold 850W Display: 1440p 144Hz Acer XG270HU CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 Keyboard: Logitech G Pro TKL Mouse: Logitech G403 Wireless Sound: Fiio E10k + Sennheiser HD6xx + Logitech Desktop Tower Speakers OS: Windows 10 Home

Either is a good choice. The 3000 series is a bit faster though. Runs a little cooler and isn't as fickle with memory. The 3000 series also has better gaming performance as well. Though, if you only are worried about gaming, why not go with a 3600? It will be basically on par with what you have now and you save some bucks!

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

the only problem with what i have now is constant stuttering from the cpu pegging. like i was just a second ago playing fallout 76 and just sprinting i get constant 60fps but repetitive drops to ten. they happen almost like clock work. games are on a m.2 ssd and noting major running in the background. i just dont want to deal with that anymore and it happens at any detail level.

well havent tried below 1080p but i dont see why the 980ti ssc would have any problem running todays games.

Some games have issues running on four threads, so you shouldnt have any of those sorts of issues with the 3600. GamersNexus has some videos on similar problems, but the issue is always related to limited thread count, not so much the power of the cpu itself. Example is when he gets the 9700k stuttering in his video.

CPU: Intel i9 9900K Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z390-F RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3000MHz CL15 GPU: Gigabyte 1080Ti Windforce w/ AIO Liquid cooler Case: Fractal Design Define S Storage: 500GB Samsung 970 Evo NVME, 1TB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB SanDisk Ultra II, 2TB Samsung 860 QVO PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 Gold 850W Display: 1440p 144Hz Acer XG270HU CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 Keyboard: Logitech G Pro TKL Mouse: Logitech G403 Wireless Sound: Fiio E10k + Sennheiser HD6xx + Logitech Desktop Tower Speakers OS: Windows 10 Home

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds good to me. Before I order tho is this motherboard decent? 

Screenshot_20200223-170300_Amazon Shopping.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So it seems my corsair cx750 is my problem. I have the above parts in now along with my $60 1080ti I just repaired and I'm still getting major hitching and frame drops. So I ran furmark and heaven with hwmonitor. Every time it would hitch all rails would drop to 3.0, 4.6, 11.5 and then shoot back up to normal. Power supply is just out of warranty unfortunately. I threw in my super cheap apevia 700w that I use when repairing mobos and video cards that I stuck in and haven't had a problem yet but that thing scares me long term.