Linux running on CD

The HDD on my incredibly old laptop from 2000 has broken and i can't get puppy linux because the PC can't boot off of a USB

So is there any way boot and run a linux distro off of a CD ?

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

Yup, you can boot from ubuntu livecd

Build 1: 4770k (H100i) | 2 x MSI 280X Gaming 3G | Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero | Corsair RM850 | 16GB Corsiar Vengeance 1600MHz | Corsair Obsidian 750D |

Build 2: 3770k (Titan Fenrir Evo) | Powercool 3GB HD7970 Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair TX750 | 16GB Kingston HyperX Genesis 2133MHz Inwin Fanqua |

Yes, in a similar way to USB, I fact it was done on a cd before a USB. There are lots of Internet guides to help you with this. Good luck.

OnePlus 6T

The HDD on my incredibly old laptop from 2000 has broken and i can't get puppy linux because the PC can't boot off of a USB

So is there any way boot and run a linux distro off of a CD ?

just put linux into a cd and boot from it?

Yup, you can boot from ubuntu livecd

Is there anything i need to do to the CD or just burn the ISO onto the CD ?

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

Nope, just use Windows 7 USB DVD Download tool.

Build 1: 4770k (H100i) | 2 x MSI 280X Gaming 3G | Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero | Corsair RM850 | 16GB Corsiar Vengeance 1600MHz | Corsair Obsidian 750D |

Build 2: 3770k (Titan Fenrir Evo) | Powercool 3GB HD7970 Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair TX750 | 16GB Kingston HyperX Genesis 2133MHz Inwin Fanqua |

Yes... Many distros offer live CDs these days.

Signatures are stupid.

Ok, thanks

I have 64 MB of RAM, what version of lubuntu should i use, i am confused

How do i use the dvd download tool, it keeps saying that mini.iso is an invalid iso, is this program just for windows ?

I have 64 MB of RAM, what version of lubuntu should i use, i am confused

Wait.. 64MB is all? How did anything even run on that thing? Don't bother, from the sounds of it the PC in question is worth more as scrap for the copper in the PCBs than it is as a PC. 

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

Lubuntu doesn't seem to be installing, can anyone recommend a linux distro for 64mb of RAM that works as a live CD

Probably bodhi Linux :) are you aware anything you do will be reset when you boot again?

Probably bodhi Linux :) are you aware anything you do will be reset when you boot again?

Yes, but i just want to see if the computer works ok before i think about finding a hard drive

I don't think you understand quite how little ram this guy has.. short of adding a massive area of swap space that will constantly be swapped to any mainline linux distro will still run sluggish. With all the drivers and a window manager running you'd already fill the 64MB when loading has finished. There is a reason why the Raspberry pi still has 256-512MB of RAM. Get a new PC, hacking at this is not worth it.

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?