Windows Explorer seems slow

CantCompute

Hi all,

I've been noticing that when i open file explorer i am greeted with a wait of a few seconds and a 'working on it' message before my folders and files show up. During this time i can hear my hard drives spin up so I imagine those are powered down when not in use. I'm curious as to why there is a delay when i can't access anything at all though since windows and most frequently used apps/files are stored on a 500gb NVME drive? surely these should be available instantly with the other drives ready shortly after?

has anyone else experienced similar?

my storage setup:

500gb samsung nmve drive (C:)

2tb seagate baracuda 7200rpm (D: and E:)

4tb Seagate Ironwolf 5900rpm (P:)

Drives being turned off and on again is actually harmful and will kill your drives faster. You can disable this in the power settings under plan settings -> advanced plan settings -> hard disk -> turn off hard disk after (set this to 0 minutes)

Ryzen 5 2600 3.9Ghz all cores 1.175V | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | 16GB ADATA Gammix D10 @ 3000C16 | Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB & 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Super Flower Leadex II 650W | Phanteks P350X

Asus VG245HE 24" 1080p 75hz | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Logitech G710+ MX Brown | Logitech G502 Hero | Logitech G440

That is probably also the cause of your issue. The computer has to wait around while the disks start spinning and only then can it show you your volume information.

Ryzen 5 2600 3.9Ghz all cores 1.175V | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | 16GB ADATA Gammix D10 @ 3000C16 | Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB & 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Super Flower Leadex II 650W | Phanteks P350X

Asus VG245HE 24" 1080p 75hz | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Logitech G710+ MX Brown | Logitech G502 Hero | Logitech G440

Just now, CantCompute said:

thanks @rares495 think ill probably just keep them running full time then

Please test it and let me know if I was correct. It's been a while since I've touched an HDD for my personal rig.

3 hours ago, CantCompute said:

Hi all,

I've been noticing that when i open file explorer i am greeted with a wait of a few seconds and a 'working on it' message before my folders and files show up. During this time i can hear my hard drives spin up so I imagine those are powered down when not in use. I'm curious as to why there is a delay when i can't access anything at all though since windows and most frequently used apps/files are stored on a 500gb NVME drive? surely these should be available instantly with the other drives ready shortly after?

has anyone else experienced similar?

my storage setup:

500gb samsung nmve drive (C:)

2tb seagate baracuda 7200rpm (D: and E:)

4tb Seagate Ironwolf 5900rpm (P:)

It is because your HDD that you have can only operate at their full speed. So the drive has to wait for the motor to be able to spin your platter up to speed before it can do anything. I am not sure now, but in the past W.D Black series could operate at lower speed to some degree, reducing the wait form a spin up. Then you have the motor itself, how good it is in terms of torque. And usually HDD's with more platters inside makes the motor have more trouble spinning up to speed due to the increase weight. So buying an HDD with fewer plates helps on that (and drive density is increased, increase drive access speed).

3 hours ago, rares495 said:

Drives being turned off and on again is actually harmful and will kill your drives faster. You can disable this in the power settings under plan settings -> advanced plan settings -> hard disk -> turn off hard disk after (set this to 0 minutes)

Nha, it is designed for this. The technology has been implemented for ages and perfected especially due to the laptops, the same technology has been put into desktop ages ago when the push for cool & quiet system started. And you increase your chance of drive failure if you hit the drive (well computer) by accident (or not) while the drive is spinning. While you gain speed, you also just generate more heat and noise.

20 hours ago, rares495 said:

Please test it and let me know if I was correct.

changing the setting did indeed fix the problem. Although, ive changed it back as i prefer a quieter system