Sound plays through speakers when headphones plugged in.

My Toshiba Satellite C-675 has been been weird when it comes to my sound lately. This occurred after a fresh install of Win7. I'll go to watch a video with my headphones plugged into the headphone jack on my laptop, but when the playback begins it will sometimes, for a few seconds, play through my laptop's speakers then transfer to my headphones. I've looked in the power savings settings and found nothing. It happens whether im charging or not. I've gone to the playback devices for my audio and found nothing. 

Is there any way i can fix this? Its not really a huge deal. Its only awkward when I go to watch a video and the beginning of the video is loud and that sound plays through my speakers before changing the audio device to the headphones. 

Could this be a driver error perhaps? Maybe a faulting audio jack?

i5-4670k, Asus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro Series Red 8GB (2x4GB) @1866 MHZ, EVGA GEFORCE 780 FTW w/ACX Cooler, Fractal Define R4 Windowed (Black-Pearl), Samsung Evo 250GB, WD 1tb Blue, EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650, Acer H236HL 23" x2, Corsair H100i, 2x Noctua NF-S12A, 2x Noctua NF-A14, Steelseries Apex, Logitech G602

Right click the headphones in the audio device manager. 

Click "Set to default". Or whatever it is. It will have Default in it. 

Now, when you plug in the headphones, it will automatically switch. But when they aren't there, it will switch back to your speakers.

If that doesn't fix it, I'm not sure what the problem might be. It sounds more like a driver issue. If the audio jack was the problem, it would do it randomly. Not just when the video starts.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

That does sounds to me very much like a faulty jack, should try different headphones too, wiggle the jack slightly while in playback devices. See if it disconnects. When connect and disconnect you should see it switching clearly in the playback devices. If you getting sound the drivers should be fine.

That does sounds to me very much like a faulty jack, should try different headphones too, wiggle the jack slightly while in playback devices. See if it disconnects. When connect and disconnect you should see it switching clearly in the playback devices. If you getting sound the drivers should be fine.

i wiggles the headphone jack and it didn't mess up.

i5-4670k, Asus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro Series Red 8GB (2x4GB) @1866 MHZ, EVGA GEFORCE 780 FTW w/ACX Cooler, Fractal Define R4 Windowed (Black-Pearl), Samsung Evo 250GB, WD 1tb Blue, EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650, Acer H236HL 23" x2, Corsair H100i, 2x Noctua NF-S12A, 2x Noctua NF-A14, Steelseries Apex, Logitech G602

i wiggles the headphone jack and it didn't mess up.

Thats good news, did you try another headphone? Although it should not switch the devices even if it was an empty jack connected. Otherwise it could be software related with the media player your using.

Just not sure that it could be driver related.

Worth trying to uninstall the driver, reboot your notebook, and then re-install it. That you can do in your device manager.

In case you did not know this already:

• go to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound
  • Should see device manager under devices and printers.
  • In device manager you will find it under Sound , video and game controllers
  • If any drivers are installed incorrectly you will see a yellow warning sign. 
  • If not then it does not recognize any issues.

It will still be worth uninstalling if your problem is persistent. Right click on the installed devices and choose to uninstall.

• After a reboot, Windows should tell you that its found new devices and will attempt to download the most appropriate drivers for the devices.

I find that OS usually picks up best  drivers and software in Windows Updates. If you don't already have them on automatically. Check for updates. Allot of useful optional updates too. Allot of issues are caused by failure to keep your PC regularly updated. Some issues are cause by the updates having bugs but usually you should be able to roll back the actions by doing a system restore. I cannot recall this ever being an issue with Win7. 

Otherwise choose the right driver from Toshiba website. Make sure that its its 32bit or 64bit your installing. http://support.toshiba.com/drivers

Now if after all this troubleshooting it still persists it has to be hardware related.

If that's the case you will need to take it in for repairs. You need some one who knows what they doing when opening up a notebook. Especially if its still under warranty.

Good Luck!