Appreciate PSU recommendation

kalemliy

Hello,

It's my first time building a pc. I desperately need some PSU advice, because this note still bugs me:

"The Gigabyte Z390 UD ATX LGA1151 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it." 

Here is the pc part list: 

Some people say it's fine, some says don't risk it. I really don't know what to buy. 

Here are my options and feel free to add more:

- Seasonic S12II - 620w

- Seasonic Focus Plus 650w 

- Seasonic Focus Plus 750w

- Thermaltake Smart 600w

I haven't bought the GPU, monitor and pc case and my budget is not certain. These Power supplies are not cheap in my country, so it needs to be affordable, lower than 80-dollars etc. Some of them are above my budget, but if it's crucial to go with one of those, I try to extend my budget.

Thank you very much.

Edited by kalemliy

6 minutes ago, kalemliy said:

Here are my options and feel free to add more:

- Seasonic S12II - 620w

- Seasonic Focus Plus 650w 

- Seasonic Focus Plus 650w

- Thermaltake Smart 600w

are you buying from a local retailer? these are not good options.

Especially with that focus at $105, totally not worth it. Here are some other options:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/v4L7YJ/thermaltake-toughpower-grand-rgb-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ps-tpg-0650fpcgus-r

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bqVD4D/corsair-rmx-2018-550w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020177-na

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

A 100 dollars item in US or Amazon is around 140-150 dollars here, with that in mind, you can give me some advice, I'm not sure I would be able to find them here, but I'll try. 

The additional 4 pin power connector is only required while doing extreme overclocking with phase change/liquid nitrogen cooling. Your PC will run fine without that one plugged in. There are much more power hungry CPUs such as the 9900K & 9900KS and even those run just fine on an 8 pin connector even heavily overclocked.

As for the PSU, I'd stick with Seasonic, but avoid the S12II because, while very reliable, it is an old old old design. I'd also avoid the Focus Plus because if I recall correctly there were some issues with them hence the rebranding into Seasonic Focus GX and PX. You should try to find one of those units instead.

Ryzen 5 2600 3.9Ghz all cores 1.175V | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | 16GB ADATA Gammix D10 @ 3000C16 | Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB & 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Super Flower Leadex II 650W | Phanteks P350X

Asus VG245HE 24" 1080p 75hz | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Logitech G710+ MX Brown | Logitech G502 Hero | Logitech G440

1 minute ago, kalemliy said:

A 100 dollars item in US or Amazon is around 140-150 dollars here, with that in mind, you can give me some advice, I'm not sure I would be able to find them here, but I'll try. 

I don't know what country it is so I can't actually make a proper recommendation. be quiet units are usually a good price but I'm not sure if you have good availability, what be quiet units would you be able to get?

also what corsair units?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

15 minutes ago, rares495 said:

The additional 4 pin power connector is only required while doing extreme overclocking with phase change/liquid nitrogen cooling. Your PC will run fine without that one plugged in. There are much more power hungry CPUs such as the 9900K & 9900KS and even those run just fine on an 8 pin connector even heavily overclocked.

As for the PSU, I'd stick with Seasonic, but avoid the S12II because, while very reliable, it is an old old old design. I'd also avoid the Focus Plus because if I recall correctly there were some issues with them hence the rebranding into Seasonic Focus GX and PX. You should try to find one of those units instead.

So, it's not mandatory? Then, all I need is a decent affordable PSU and I shouldn't be worrying about that note?

14 minutes ago, Seriouswhyso said:

It looks like a very good advice, I wonder what other people think about it.

13 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

I don't know what country it is so I can't actually make a proper recommendation. be quiet units are usually a good price but I'm not sure if you have good availability, what be quiet units would you be able to get?

also what corsair units?

It's much more easier to access corsair products here. I've seen some units such as VS, RM, TX, CX, but they're pricey.

Edited by kalemliy

1 minute ago, kalemliy said:

So, it's not mandatory? Then, all I need a decent affordable PSU and I shouldn't be worrying about that note?

It looks like a very good advice, I wonder what other people think about it.

It's much more easier to access corsair products here. I've seen some units such as VS, RM, TX, CX, but they're pricey.

It is not needed unless you do extreme overclocking.

You don't do extreme overclocking therefore => it is not needed.

Ryzen 5 2600 3.9Ghz all cores 1.175V | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | 16GB ADATA Gammix D10 @ 3000C16 | Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB & 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Super Flower Leadex II 650W | Phanteks P350X

Asus VG245HE 24" 1080p 75hz | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Logitech G710+ MX Brown | Logitech G502 Hero | Logitech G440

5 minutes ago, kalemliy said:

CXM would be a step up from the options you listed, and the CX would be even better, with the TX being the best of what you listed. How much does a CX550M or CX550 cost you compared to the focus?

Primary PC:

9 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

CXM would be a step up from the options you listed, and the CX would be even better, with the TX being the best of what you listed. How much does a CX550M or CX550 cost you compared to the focus?

TX are expensive to me, but I've just seen there is a discount on CX550. I could afford that!

4 minutes ago, kalemliy said:

TX are expensive to me, but I've just seen there is a discount on CX550. I could afford that!

I'd take the CX over the focus. If if was the focus GX, it would be a great unit, but the classic focus (FX) has a problem with particularly brutal transients with demanding cards (see 1080 ti, Vega 56/64, some GTX 970 models.)

Primary PC:

Which country anyway ? It would be way easier to recommend you smth if you've linked some online retailer here. But Corsair CX if i's one of cheapest ones would be good choice (or CM MWE Gold). Be aware tho that they might be a bit whiny\noisy with higher-end GPUs if you ever decide to upgrade to one but it should be fine for GTX1660 Ti. Also, just look at the PSU tier list and choose accordingly, it's what it made for.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

45 minutes ago, hni_7 said:

works for me

That's one of the worst ways to justify a PSU recommendation, just so you're aware.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler