how do I add more sata hard drives?

mitchell2380

So i am making a home server for storage of movies tv est. I am using a old dell desktop from a school I am a teacher, but the motherboard only has 3 SATA ports. Is it possible to plug in one or two more desktops? so they can share hard drives and other resources? 

Thanks, Mitchell    

Just now, mitchell2380 said:

So i am making a home server for storage of movies tv est. I am using a old dell desktop from a school I am a teacher, but the motherboard only has 3 SATA ports. Is it possible to plug in one or two more desktops? so they can share hard drives and other resources? 

Thanks, Mitchell    

You can probably get a pcie SATA expansion card

You can get a PCIe to SATA adapter off of Newegg for  $15-20, or you can pick up bigger hard drives and swap them out. I'm usually a fan of the latter, as OEM Dells generally didn't include space for more hard drives than they had SATA ports on the mobo for.

Alternatively, you could set up a home server or NAS to share data from the drives on it.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

5 minutes ago, mitchell2380 said:

Thanks, Mitchell    

i know its a pointless solution as you can use a SATA expansion card, but they actually make an adapter so you can plug any old 2.5 or 3.5" HDD into a USB, and it supplies the power and the signal, ive supplied a link below so you can get the idea

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-3-0-To-SATA-22-Pin-2-5-Inch-Hard-Disk-Drive-SSD-Adapter-Connector-Cable-UK/202853674681?hash=item2f3b056eb9:g:MocAAOSwIxFd9AP-

You can also buy used motherboard with more sata ports. It should cost similar to PCIE expansion card (I assume that your hardware is pretty old since it has only 3 sata ports - some old crap on via chipset maybe?).