Budget Build for 1080p Video Editing in Davinci Resolve

zua93117

Hello all,

I'm trying to build together a pc that will do 1080p video editing in Davinci Resolve.

Not much effects, very basic compositing with image / text, very light color grading (or possibly none).

I'm located in Canada, the budget is tight, and the local used market for GPU isn't astounding.

I'm really trying to cut cost where ever possible nevertheless.

I have the biggest problem is choosing the GPU as Resolve seems highly dependent on GPU..

I also need some help choosing the CPU, although I think the difference between the two candidates are pretty minimal.

CPU - I'm deciding between 2700X and 3600. They trade blows, and I just can't decide!

3600 beats 2700X wherever composting with the Fusion tab is used. But Resolve seems to benefit from more cores.

Shouldn't make too much of a difference.

*Edit = I've been kind of convinced to go with 3600 since smooth editing feels more important than fast rendering where the pc can be left alone.

GPU - GTX 1660 Super 6GB or RX 580 8GB or even RX570 8GB.

I was looking at GTX 1650 4GB, but that seems like a bad idea.

It'd be nice to keep the GPU cost around $320 CAD ($240 USD) or under if possible.

=== Components I've settled on ====

Motherboard - MSI B450 Gaming Plus / Tomahawk / A-Pro ..and MAX versions, whichever one justifies itself.

RAM - 2x8GB 3200Mhz cl 16..don't really want to spend extra for 3600 cl18 or 3600 cl16 when the money could go into GPU or CPU.

PSU - Cooler Master V550W 80+ Gold

Any help is appreciated!

I would prefer the Ryzen 2700X because of more Cores which could be quite handy for editing with multiple video layers.

As graphics card i would take the Nvidia because it does better in benchmarks (https://www.gpucheck.com/de-eur/compare/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-super-vs-amd-radeon-rx-580/intel-core-i7-8700k-3-70ghz-vs-intel-core-i7-7700k-4-20ghz/). 

I have good experience with Nvidea GPU (ecspacielly overclocking) but I have never tested AMD GPU so I would recommend you to get a second recommendation.

9 hours ago, Zypee_Gaming said:

I would prefer the Ryzen 2700X because of more Cores which could be quite handy for editing with multiple video layers.

As graphics card i would take the Nvidia because it does better in benchmarks (https://www.gpucheck.com/de-eur/compare/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-super-vs-amd-radeon-rx-580/intel-core-i7-8700k-3-70ghz-vs-intel-core-i7-7700k-4-20ghz/). 

I have good experience with Nvidea GPU (ecspacielly overclocking) but I have never tested AMD GPU so I would recommend you to get a second recommendation.

Thanks! That's a good point.

I see. Ya, Nvidia GPU isn't bad. The 1660 super is supposedly a bit faster than RX 590, which is an OC'ed RX580 if I'm right.

Might be worth looking into the used market on that one.

I think the cpu's are very similar for your application. As you said the 3600 will feel smoother, while the 2700 will render faster. Go for the max version of any of those motherboards.

The 1650 super is under 200 and directly competes with the 570 and 580, while 1660 super easily beats them.

Also, don't get the vs, it's old and unreliable. Get the cx version. 450w should be enough.

56 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

Also, don't get the vs, it's old and unreliable. Get the cx version. 450w should be enough.

Thanks for the clarification!

I'm just afraid that 1650 Super won't hold up to HD video editing and that 1600 Super will just fit the bill or barely skim by.

I was only able to find YT videos testing 4K video editing in Resolve with different GPUs. 4K's all the hype now I guess.

The one useful piece of info I found on Resolve's forum was that GTX 1070 was no slouch for HD.. and that 1660 ti was just below 1070.

If I remember correctly, 1660 super is equal to or a tad below 1660 ti, but with faster VRAM. which makes me think 1660 might barely fit the bill.

Yikes! I was going by PSU tier list 4.0. @_@ I think I got the V-Gold 2018 version, which is tier A-..

Things change fast I guess? I got a EVGA G3 last time and it suddenly got listed as tier D+ potentially dangerous but in rather unrealistic situations >.>

10 minutes ago, zua93117 said:

Thanks for the clarification!

I'm just afraid that 1650 Super won't hold up to HD video editing and that 1600 Super will just fit the bill or barely skim by.

I was only able to find YT videos testing 4K video editing in Resolve with different GPUs. 4K's all the hype now I guess.

The one useful piece of info I found on Resolve's forum was that GTX 1070 was no slouch for HD.. and that 1660 ti was just below 1070.

If I remember correctly, 1660 super is equal to or a tad below 1660 ti, but with faster VRAM. which makes me think 1660 might barely fit the bill.

Yikes! I was going by PSU tier list 4.0. @_@ I think I got the V-Gold 2018 version, which is tier A-..

Things change fast I guess? I got a EVGA G3 last time and it suddenly got listed as tier D+ potentially dangerous but in rather unrealistic situations >.>

Actually, sorry for the psu thing. I misread it as corsair vs. Tge coolermaster v is a good one.

I've looked at some gpu benchmarks and it seems vega cards do quite well for their price. Vega 64 beats the rtx 2060, so i would expect vega 56 to be significantly better than the 1660 super/ti. See if you can find it.