Fresh windows install on MSI laptop

HTKY!

Hello, I have an old MSI laptop which I bought a while back intending to use it as a lan rig however after a couple of RMA issues I ended up giving up on it.. I plan to go back to school and figured I could at least use it as a school laptop but it has a painfully slow HDD that I’d like to switch to a SSD and was just wondering if I’d have any issues with taking the HDD out, putting in the SSD, and installing a fresh copy of windows onto the new drive? Or if perhaps there is a cheaper option that doesn’t involve buying a new windows license? 

I’m stuck at work for the next 3 hours not doing too much so I should hopefully be able to reply between now and then relatively quickly if anyone has any questions or clarifications I need to make 

14 minutes ago, HTKY! said:

just wondering if I’d have any issues with taking the HDD out, putting in the SSD, and installing a fresh copy of windows onto the new drive?

If the laptop came with Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 preinstalled, your Windows key is embedded in the BIOS. If it came with Windows 7, the key will be on a sticker on the bottom. Either way, you should be able to install Windows 10 on an SSD in the laptop as it should still activate using any of the aforementioned licenses.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Before you do the switch, make sure you have a copy of the Windows Media Creation tool to make a Windows installer on a Flash drive or DVDRW disk. 

When you do switch out the SSD, the bottle neck will change from the HDD to the CPU or RAM, depending on how old the hardware is. Not that this will cause any problems, just don't expect the power and speed of a brand new rig.

All things concidered, you shouldn't have any issues. Just make sure that you don't end up with a deactivated Windows 10.

Links: Windows 10 Media creation Tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The laptop is a MSI G62 7RE.. Intel I-7 7700HQ, GTX 1050ti and 16gb ram but not sure the speed of the ram.. Is it worth while upgrading the drive or sinking my money into something more recently released? I have been interested in LGs gram as a thin and light to use for school but I thought I’d ask about the laptop I have now before ditching it.. Also on a side note does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with an old laptop that you don’t want to use anymore? I have an 8yo dell that I originally used for school but I’m not patient enough to even get through the initial loading of the laptop to use for anything outside of a paperweight