Optiplex buying tips?

Hello,

I would like to get an optiplex project computer, but I have a few questions. First of all, my current budget isn't large, but I have an msi GE60 2OC (i5-4200m variant, 6gb ddr3, gt750m (crap card, integrated grapics are better), 2014 model) with an ssd installed (240gb, upgraded from a 500gb hdd) to trade. The msi is super fast with the ssd for daily tasks, gaming works but not the newest games of course (world of tanks, minecraft, etc works perfectly).

From what I've seen, the 7020 MT's and 9020 MT's are the ones to go for. I've seen some optiplex's with the i5-4590 and an i7-4770. 

Now the big question, is it worth trading the msi for the following optiplex:

• 7020 MT BTX
  • €275, but is willing to trade for the msi.
  • i5-4590
  • 4gb ddr3
  • 500gb hdd
  • keyboard and mouse
  • never used, new in box
  • windows 7 ultimate

1. Should I do the trade? Or should I wait for an i7 optiplex to pop up? (There aren't that many in Belgium available)
  2. What do you think my msi is worth? Will I get more out of my msi from just selling it and then buying an optiplex? 

I have macbook for my daily tasks, so it's not like I need the msi. I'd like an optiplex because it'll be a cool project. If you have other suggestions of good desktops, cool low budget projects I could do, feel free to let me know aswell! 

Thanks in advance for all the undoubtedly great responses! :D

I would say no, it's not worth it.

i5-4590 is about as powerful (when it comes to brute performance) as a Ryzen 3 2200g. Ryzen 1400 is about 5-10% faster and Ryzen 1600/2600 is about 25% faster.

That optiplex is BTX which is different than ATX, so you won't be able to reuse the case with other systems, and the power supply is most likely custom, unusable in other cases.

Being Dell, your cpu upgrade options are limited, while if you go with a 60 euro motherboard you'd be able to upgrade up to 12-16 core processors. Also overclocking, as you won't overclock with that Dell machine, the cpu is locked.

Here's a starting point, all but the storage and a video card. You can move the SSD over to this PC from your laptop.

As for video card, you can buy 10$/euro video cards from eBay or you can spend less than 100 euro on a rx 570 that's perfect for 1080p gaming.

You're paying more but you're paying for future upgrades. When you have more money you could upgrade the 1200 to a six core or 8 core and you'll extend the life.

Also, you can probably find the Ryzen 1600 used on eBay or local places for about the same price. Or you could go for 2200g at around 70-80 euro (new is around 95 euro)

If you go down to a single stick of 4 GB, you'd save around 20 euro which could go to the cpu budget (but it's not a good idea to go with a single 4 GB stick, as the motherboard has only 2 memory slots and 8 GB if you upgrade later won't be enough)

18 minutes ago, mariushm said:

I would say no, it's not worth it.

Thank you for the awesome advice! Seems like a tempting thing to do. Although the budget is REAL thight at the moment lol, how much would you say I could ask for my msi laptop second hand? It has an i5-4200m, gt750m gpu, 240gb ssd (newly installed), 6gb ddr3 ram. 

I also have a compaq laptop that I don't use anymore. That one has an i5-4210U, integrated graphics (4400), 500gb hdd, 6gb ddr3. I'm also willing to sell that one, but I don't think I can get much more than 50-70€ for that one.

Really either a trade for those laptops or the money I can get from those are my budget.

try to sell the laptops and see how much money you get on them. come back with a budget and we'll advise whether you can get a new build or you should go via the used route.

you can probably get 200$ for the msi and 75$ for the compaq.

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

try to sell the laptops and see how much money you get on them. come back with a budget and we'll advise whether you can get a new build or you should go via the used route.

okay thanks for the advice!