Slow singlethread connection speed

Oniragguo

Hello guys,

I'm here in hope that i can get some help with my connection speed.

I have a 100/20 connection, but for some time i've been having issues with stuff like streaming sites, like Twitch for instance, or general web browsing, especially image heavy sites.

Trying to search for a solution I found at the time the testmy.net speedtest and learned a bit about the difference between singlethread and multithread connection, and I kept getting way lower results on the singlethread test, especially in high traffic hours. I've been in touch with my ISP about these issues for quite some time and in a few situations they actually resolved them, but this time I feel like the problem might be on my end and I honestly don't know what to do.

Usually my singlethread speeds were all over to place, going from 30mbps down to 2, up again then down, etc. but for the last 2 months, after the guys at the ISP said they basically did what they thought would fix the issue, the results have been stable... at around 10mbps. No more, no less.

Now here comes the interesting part: this only happens on my Win10 PC. On my phone i get singlethread speeds equal to multithread ones, at around 70-75. On a friend's PC, with Win10 as well, same story, closer to the actual 90Mbps that actually get to my router. I was ready to think this had something to do with hardware (I also bought a separate network adapter about a year ago, so maybe it was that?), but then i tried a speedtest on a Bootable USB Ubuntu and the results were close to 90 Mbps. So I thought that maybe there was something with my Win10 installation, therefore I tried a win10 VM, but the results were as bad as on my Win10, so I don't really know where the problem actually sits.

Somehow, it's like there's a hard cap at 10mbps for singlethread connections and I have no idea how to resolve this. Any ideas?

Thanks.

An idea that does not involve a windows reinstall I assume since that is where you are pointing.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I'm considering it but I'd really prefer not to unless it's the only practical way, I'm curious to see if anyone recommends something more or less specific. But in the case of a reinstall, wouldn't the VM be acting as one already or would it be "corrupted" by something on the original OS? I tried that in the case it was indeed something with my Windows installation, but at this point I'm not even sure that would solve it at all. Could some registry entry or some "hidden" setting be causing this?

I used to run into problems like this as a Mac sysop all the time.  Someone would do a whole bunch of work without backing anything up and the computer would go hork and while they could still see their work they couldn’t save it and didn’t want to start over.   So they sit there stuck.  About 80% of the most unpleasant part of my job there was to reach over and hit the reset button, because if I didn’t they lock up the computer for no joke days flailing about and spending 5 or 6 times the effort of trying to somehow save the work than it would take to actually redo it.

How much time will you lose from a rebuild vs how much time will you lose trying to avoid a rebuild?  If b becomes larger than a you have already lost.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.