brightness control on desktop

Hi :)

Maybe I'm missing something here but it seems like on the current version of Windows 10 (1903 & 1909) I cannot find any way to adjust brightness for desktop PCs.

The option is there alright on laptops and tablets but on all my desktop PCs it looks like it has been replaced by "automatic brightness adjustment" or something like that.

Did I miss something?

I know I can control brightness from the monitor itself (via the OSD settings) but I find this somewhat inconvenient.

Why would MS remove the ability to adjust brightness in windows for desktop PCs?

Thank you very much in advance for your input.

Best,

-a-

8 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Use ScreenBright tool. It uses DDC/CI protocol that almost every monitor support (and if not - check osd options, it may be disabled).

@DominicNikon, @RainGamma: you're wrong. Now you can discover something new. :)

Microsoft has pre-build APIs for whatever ScreemBright offers, the rest requires actual knowledge of the DCC/CI protocol to implement. I started a project, but need time to finish it. That is why this utility can only adjust the color red green and blue, and not the others that some monitor make available, such as Hue, Saturation, Offset, control for not only RGB, but also CMY, let alone the rest. Many Dell Ultrasharp monitors comes with a software to adjust its monitor settings, that you can install. Sadly, they locked it to work on specific monitor models. 

Anyway, Sadly, despite the APIs ready to be used, Windows brightness control only support ACPI protocol, so that is why it is only on laptops and tablets.

On 1/27/2020 at 4:39 PM, GoodBytes said:

Microsoft has pre-build APIs for whatever ScreemBright offers, the rest requires actual knowledge of the DCC/CI protocol to implement. I started a project, but need time to finish it. That is why this utility can only adjust the color red green and blue, and not the others that some monitor make available, such as Hue, Saturation, Offset, control for not only RGB, but also CMY, let alone the rest. Many Dell Ultrasharp monitors comes with a software to adjust its monitor settings, that you can install. Sadly, they locked it to work on specific monitor models. 

Anyway, Sadly, despite the APIs ready to be used, Windows brightness control only support ACPI protocol, so that is why it is only on laptops and tablets.

Sorry, I cannot understand most of what you said.

but, in the end, do you think it's a bad idea to use ScreenBright?

Tx

-a-

On 1/27/2020 at 7:54 AM, homeap5 said:

Use ScreenBright tool. It uses DDC/CI protocol that almost every monitor support (and if not - check osd options, it may be disabled).

@DominicNikon, @RainGamma: you're wrong. Now you can discover something new. :)

It doesn't work in my hands.

I get an error message "error accessing display"

9 minutes ago, asheenlevrai said:

It doesn't work in my hands.

I get an error message "error accessing display"

It is because your display doesn't support DDC/CI protocol, or has been disabled in the on screen menu of the display

More probably that second option (monitor management disabled in osd menu). I have really old monitor with vga analog input only connected by adapter and it works.

What is your monitor model?

17 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

It is because your display doesn't support DDC/CI protocol, or has been disabled in the on screen menu of the display

This monitor doesn't have any OSD menu. It's an Apple Thunderbolt Display.

14 hours ago, homeap5 said:

More probably that second option (monitor management disabled in osd menu). I have really old monitor with vga analog input only connected by adapter and it works.

What is your monitor model?

It's an Apple Thunderbolt Display.