Small fast or Big slow

DrCanada

Hey everybody I was looking for a new ssd because my 240gb Kingston A400 is almost full and I was considering the Crucial P1 but then I saw that much faster ssds that had half the space and faster speeds were much less expensive. Which one should I get?

haha bigger space , all ssd are fast some are better but an average ssd is good

The P1 isn't bad at 1TB (you don't want QLC at lower capacities) but there are probably better options. The WD SN550 has been $99 recently for example. I have some resources here.

12 minutes ago, NewMaxx said:

The P1 isn't bad at 1TB (you don't want QLC at lower capacities) but there are probably better options. The WD SN550 has been $99 recently for example

Would probably suggest the P1 over the SN550. Iirc the SN550 is a uncached drive, which isnt preferable. (Would love to see otherwise, but iirc i checled that drive for that specific reason)

Edit: (just checked, its uncached, as such worse in consumer usecases)

29 minutes ago, DrCanada said:

Which one should I get?

Get the 660p/665p or P1 (1TB). Whichever is cheaper. Or pay about 30$ more for a Inland Premium or Silicon Power A80 (1TB), which is more of an upgrade over the P1. Going lower on capacity really isnt worth it. 

Yes, the SN550 is DRAM-less, DRAM being used mostly for metadata so not to be confused with a write cache. It's not as critical for NVMe drives because the protocol is far superior to AHCI for solid state, at least not for consumer workloads. The SN550 notably has a static SLC cache and a powerful controller which makes for very consistent performance. That and of course, it has excellent BiCS4 TLC...

Read for example the Tom's Hardware review of the new Intel 665p (superior to 660p/P1) where he compares it to the WD SN550. TweakTown's SN550 review also compares it to the 660p, crowning it the "value champion."