Linux, ZFS, PLEX, SAMBA VMs

Bmoney

Making a new plex server. 
24x 8TB drives SAS3
CPU: 2950x

MB: ASUS ZENITH EXTREME

HBA: LSI 2800-8i (will upgrade to SAS3 card when I upgrade my Backplane)
RAM: 4x 32gb NEMIX ECC ram 2666
Graphics Card: GT 710 (I know hardware trancoding but thought the TR would be enough May look to get WX 7100 or P2000)

OS: Been using Ubuntu very happy with it. I really don't want to pay for unraid. FreeNAS is ok prefer Ubuntu. 

Is there a good reason to VM all these separate functions?  Or having them on a single instance in a couple of RAID 1 drives? What benefits would I see. 

Have you verified that the motherboard will support 32GB NEMIX DIMMs? You'll want the EPYC platform for that type of support.

Each of these functions would operate fine on the host as one running machine I don't see the perks of virtualizing any of the before mentioned services. It's when you want to parallelize things or have the need to host different OS's for different functions that you want to look into installing a hypervisor as the host.

4 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Have you verified that the motherboard will support 32GB NEMIX DIMMs? You'll want the EPYC platform for that type of support.

Each of these functions would operate fine on the host as one running machine I don't see the perks of virtualizing any of the before mentioned services. It's when you want to parallelize things or have the need to host different OS's for different functions that you want to look into installing a hypervisor as the host.

Cool yes the machice posted no problem with ram it was unbuffered.