Activate a new sys, with previous sys key?

Edward78

What needs to be done, will not activate?

GIGABYTE B550I AORUS PRO AX (AM4 AMD/B550/Mini-Itx/Dual M.2/SATA 6Gb/s/USB 3.2 Gen 1/WiFi 6/2.5 GbE LAN/PCIe4.0/Realtek ALC1220-Vb/DisplayPort 1.4/2xHDMI 2.0B/RGB Fusion 2.0/DDR4/Gaming Motherboard) ,AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-core, 16-Thread Unlocked 4.7 GHz, TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) Ram, EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC Gaming, 08G-P5-3663-KL, 8GB GDDR6, Metal Backplate, LHR

Depends on the key, is it OEM or retail. Is it connected to Microsoft account or not.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Depends on the key, is it OEM or retail. Is it connected to Microsoft account or not.

Yes, that is the odd thing, someone said connect key before I reinstall. That will make it easy, I thought you just logfed ut ti the new install to get activated, but nope. https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4512941&fbclid=IwAR2JwV3trOzAWUQ005LuhZiPKrFnEVrCtZeE0lRIKKRoavTbD6NM4c7X_yM that site seems good though, but I don'y know the name of the latest patch to get it,

GIGABYTE B550I AORUS PRO AX (AM4 AMD/B550/Mini-Itx/Dual M.2/SATA 6Gb/s/USB 3.2 Gen 1/WiFi 6/2.5 GbE LAN/PCIe4.0/Realtek ALC1220-Vb/DisplayPort 1.4/2xHDMI 2.0B/RGB Fusion 2.0/DDR4/Gaming Motherboard) ,AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-core, 16-Thread Unlocked 4.7 GHz, TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) Ram, EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC Gaming, 08G-P5-3663-KL, 8GB GDDR6, Metal Backplate, LHR

On 1/26/2020 at 6:33 AM, LogicalDrm said:

I have a similar question. My current workstation is getting a little old and I want to do a new build.  I have a retail Win10 Pro install that is linked to my Microsoft account.  I want to transfer this key to the new workstation once it's up and configured.  What do I need to do since this key would be on two installs for a short period of time.  I don't want to inactivate the old workstation until everything is checked out.

TIA

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

22 minutes ago, Alan G said:

I have a similar question. My current workstation is getting a little old and I want to do a new build.  I have a retail Win10 Pro install that is linked to my Microsoft account.  I want to transfer this key to the new workstation once it's up and configured.  What do I need to do since this key would be on two installs for a short period of time.  I don't want to inactivate the old workstation until everything is checked out.

TIA

Don't activate the new one before you are ready. You would have 30-day full trial anyway, and as its many times said here, you lose only few things leaving it un-activated while finishing the moving process.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

55 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Don't activate the new one before you are ready. You would have 30-day full trial anyway, and as its many times said here, you lose only few things leaving it un-activated while finishing the moving process.

Thanks.  In the past when I've built new workstations, it was always with a new version of Windows.  I had to update from Win8.1 to Win10 last year because Adobe photo apps required it.  I've not experienced transferring a license.  Since my current PC is a Z97, I'll need to do a fresh Windows install any way.

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

This whole deactivating a key is new, I thought having it connected to a ms account it would just transfer when I logged in on new sys. nope.

5 hours ago, Edward78 said:

This whole deactivating a key is new, I thought having it connected to a ms account it would just transfer when I logged in on new sys. nope.

If its from laptops etc. it is most likely locked to that first mobo. Those are bit hit and miss.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

If its from laptops etc. it is most likely locked to that first mobo. Those are bit hit and miss.

Well ya.