Vr headset Advice

Chris_56

I was checking the used vr headset market and found a htc vive for 200$ and a oculus rift s for 300$ what would you say is a better deal? Going to be used for gaming and watching movies! Thanks for the help!

19 minutes ago, Chris_56 said:

I was checking the used vr headset market and found a htc vive for 200$ and a oculus rift s for 300$ what would you say is a better deal? Going to be used for gaming and watching movies! Thanks for the help!

You can find full oculus rift sets with touch controllers and everything for around $200 all day, if just the headset is $300 that's a major rip off. The vive for $200 is a steal however if it doesn't come with the controllers or base stations or anything then you won't be able to use it as intended, the older occulus' are made for using mouse and keyboard as well as touch controllers the vive isn't really made for using just the headset by itself. I haven't seen a full Vive set for less than $400 used.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

The Vive would give you better tracking but worse display resolution assuming it comes with the headset, breakout box with power adapter, 2 x working controllers, 2x working base stations with power adapters.

The Rift S will give you a better screen resolution and easier setup but the tracking is more likely to have issues as it's camera based so light levels and controller occlusion from the cameras view could be issues.

overall the Rift S would probably be a better bet in most situations right now.

Hello, I'm bumping this becuase I'm also interested in VR headsets.    Are there other VR headsets you guys can recommend?   

I just used my nephew's Samsung HMD Odyssey+ .    That was my frst ever VR experience.  It was exciting execpt for the feeling I was going to vomit after climbing a ladder I'm boneworks..    also, Samsung's first foray into controller design wasn't so impressive.   I found the controller awkward to hold in the hand.    The display is among the best from what I've heard said about it though.. 

Can somebody help compile a list of VR headsets.   I'm not so interested in the all in one wireless units.   I want no lag.   Also have a decently powerful laptop to run it.  Looking up these things seems daunting by the number of sets that are out there..  it's hard to tell what's what.

1 hour ago, Matacks said:

Hello, I'm bumping this becuase I'm also interested in VR headsets.    Are there other VR headsets you guys can recommend?   

I just used my nephew's Samsung HMD Odyssey+ .    That was my frst ever VR experience.  It was exciting execpt for the feeling I was going to vomit after climbing a ladder I'm boneworks..    also, Samsung's first foray into controller design wasn't so impressive.   I found the controller awkward to hold in the hand.    The display is among the best from what I've heard said about it though.. 

Can somebody help compile a list of VR headsets.   I'm not so interested in the all in one wireless units.   I want no lag.   Also have a decently powerful laptop to run it.  Looking up these things seems daunting by the number of sets that are out there..  it's hard to tell what's what.

All windows headsets the the same basic controller design.  The Odessey is great for a flight/racing setup where you don't care so much about the motion controllers but if you are looking to play Boneworks and other room scale games that fully use motion controls you have a couple options that aren't End of Life:

Lighthouse based tracking (more accurate tracking but more setup required)

Valve Index

HTC Vive Pro

Pimax 5K 8K Series

Camera Tracking (less accurate tracking but much easier setup)

Oculus Rift S

HTC Cosmos

Realistically, unless you have a specific use case your trying to maximize (Widest FOV, Highest Resolution, Official Wireless) and are willing to accept noticeable downfalls in other areas to get it, you have 2 options.

Valve Index ($1000 USD)

Oculus Rift S ($400 USD)

For either of these your going to want a GTX 1070 or comparable GPU with an decently paired CPU and a Display Port output on your laptop.

Yes they will work on less, but this is a good point to aim for to play all games well.

For the Rift S, your going to want to know the distance between your pupils because it doesn't have a physical adjustment for this so if your eyes are to close together or far apart you may not have a good experience with it. Ideally and IPD of 63.5mm  with a +/- of 2 mm.  If you are closer to the 50's or the 70's then the Rift S might not be great for you.

I've omitted the Oculus Quest even though it has a physical IPD adjustment as you said you didn't want a standalone.  While it can connect to a PC with a Link Cable, some have reported the controller tracking felt slightly off compared to PC only headsets.

The nausea is going to be a problem in any game where your eyes say you're moving but your inner ear doesn't agree. The good news is you can generally build up a tolerance to that by stopping when you start to fell sick and coming back later. 

Their are some leaks going around that Samsung has a new headset in the works with more cameras for tracking and hopefully better controls but nothing official yet.

Thanks for this .  The rift S is closer to the price point im interested in.    The information is helpful.   I wasn't aware new Samsung stuff is in the works either..  

10 minutes ago, Matacks said:

Thanks for this .  The rift S is closer to the price point im interested in.    The information is helpful.   I wasn't aware new Samsung stuff is in the works either..  

The new Samsung one is just some patent filing and a 3D render from china in the last couple days. Not much is known about it beyond that.

1 hour ago, trufret said:

The new Samsung one is just some patent filing and a 3D render from china in the last couple days. Not much is known about it beyond that.

Ok great.   Well, I just measured my pupils.  I have spacing of about 65mm so the rift S should be a pretty good fit for me.    I probably will try to get bargain deals for used sets on eBay though so I don't have to pay full price.  Thanks again.