how does prime95 work

I'm new at this. My teacher at school was talking about prime numbers. He was talking about the Great Mersenne Prime Search. He told us if you had a good computer, try finding primes using it. I have a decent PC with a Ryzen 5 2600 at 4.0ghz.

Here's my current progress so far, how do you know if you've found a prime number. Also what does the ETA thing stand for.

I've been running prime95 for almost the past day now.

I don't know much about the other uses for Prime95, but people use it for stress testing their CPU to check for stability when overclocking. It hits your CPU incredibly hard and causes it to run hot. 

I would suggest not running it for extended periods of time simply because it will lessen the longevity of your hardware.

2 minutes ago, anoor9000 said:

I don't know much about the other uses for Prime95, but people use it for stress testing their CPU to check for stability when overclocking. It hits your CPU incredibly hard and causes it to run hot. 

I would suggest not running it for extended periods of time simply because it will lessen the longevity of your hardware.

that is true haha, at least I know my 4ghz overclock is stable. I guess I'll run prime95 on my old 4690k computer.

Prime95 is a scientific application used for calculating prime numbers. Seems simple, but it really isn't. From what I gather, Prime95 loads up the processor with very complicated renditions of prime, then requests the CPU to calculate it. It also already knows the answer, so if the number is off, there is an issue. 

Some of these prime numbers could possibly be in the millions of digits. Quite something. 

In fact this same application you are using for stress testing, was used to find the current known largest mersenne prime number.

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD