What HDD should i use for Plex server and daily use pc?

Saibot123

Hi! don’t know if been posted before but can anyone suggest what hdd I should use for my pc. I want to use it both for mass storage and for plex. I have heard good things about WD red, but is it good enough for "regular" use as well? What’s the difference between WD red's and blacks? I would also like for it to be good value, price/GB.

Thank you!

Use any HDD you want for Plex, as movies and music can play off anything.

Regular use... I'd use SSD's.  Period.

500GB - 1TB SSD main drive, then 1-4TB 7200rpm HDD for storage/Plex.  I use Toshiba drives for Plex.

Im planning to use a WD black 500GB for boot and programs and games i use often, and a WD red 4tb for files and movies. but someone told me WD reds and blacks are the best for plex servers, why is that? and whats the difference between them?

Thank you for respond!

Reds are NAS server use, Blacks are for professionals/gamers supposedly.

Reds are for companies usually tho, who invest in a much higher necessity of quality.  Blacks are good for what you need at most.  To be honest, any HDD is fine.  The Reds are just a bit more stout than the blacks or blues.

After disgusted by the smr drives from Seagate and WD (unless you are buying Seagate Exos or WD Gold / Black) . Toshiba X300/N300 become my only preference.

A 14TB helium filled N300, with 7200rpm and 256MB cache, while still being authentic PMR on amazon. What more can you ask when those spec converge into a signle model.

Toshiba is well known for being too "stubborn" to throw the horrific smr into application. Plus according to multiple harddrive annual faliure reports, Toshiba is always at the lowest spot.