Water cooling PSU mod

General Burkhalter

I have in my system a fully water cooled silenmaxx psu. Unfortunately both the psu and water block are pretty scarce. The other drawback is that I am limited to 600 watts.

That being said having a fully water cooled psu is very nice, they are quite, and there is nothing to clog up so I feel comfortable having my pc on the ground. Having large radiators my pc is almost completely quite at full load.

The only other option is the hybrid air and water supply. Its pretty undesirable because it still has a fan, and to be honest the concept of a hybrid psu seems pretty pointless to me.

I feel as though the task of modifying say an evga power supply to be fully watercooled would not be all that difficult. My stab in the dark would be to first machine a copper waterblock to directly cool the fets on the board, thus replacing the aluminum air cooled heat sink. Then next step would be to snake copper pipes with fins close to all the other heat making components, and potting the entire psu with thermally conductive epoxy. 

There is kind of a hole in the market as far as watercooled psu's go given that you can water cool ram and ssd's this seems like something that would be more prevalent... 

Any thoughts? 

Rig: ROG STRIX X570, Ryzen 3900x 4.4ghz, Radeon 5700xt 2150mhz core 1900mhz memory, silentmaxx water cooled psu.

13 minutes ago, General Burkhalter said:

There is kind of a hole in the market as far as watercooled psu's go given that you can water cool ram and ssd's this seems like something that would be more prevalent... 

Any thoughts? 

My money is on that few people are comfortable with the idea of something that, if you short it because of a leak, is basically like sticking a fork in the mains socket.

While I do understand that as a concern that people would have, and a hard one to get past at that, The pcb will be potted, effectively water proofing the mains  exposed lands. Any risk is not that far above normal water cooling. Unfortunately I recognize that this will be a hard one for people to get around because the general consensus among-st society is that water + electricity = bad.

Rig: ROG STRIX X570, Ryzen 3900x 4.4ghz, Radeon 5700xt 2150mhz core 1900mhz memory, silentmaxx water cooled psu.

My thoughts:

When I was building my loop in RR2 I would have entertained getting a blocked PSU cause...well why not.  The price was not worth the fact that a 0dba fan mode in a well ventilated system was magnitudes cheaper and I could have way more overhead (and its literally silent cause no moving parts)

Fix the price to performance issue (mass production at an affordable price) and I would have done it.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

So... If I were to build up some of these, I want one for myself, and maybe one other one or more if there was some interest. I mean would something like 300 usd be out of line? That is still way cheaper than fsp hydro and is full water cooled. Sorry if I am not supposed to be selling stuff here, but this is all hypothetical...